Alberta Class 1 Road Test

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by grainhauler, Aug 19, 2015.

1. grainhauler

grainhauler Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2007
    What is involved in the AB class 1 road test? Not too concerned with pre trip and driving, have had my class 3 for a few years. Just the backing with a trailer. When you do the blind side approach back do you need to do it in one shot or can you back around the corner and pull ahead a bit and finish backing in?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    I never had to back up blind sided on the road test.... Just straight back, then around the corner of a building.

4. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    One would assume you're allowed to pull forward to straighten out... I would hope...

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I took mine a couple years ago up in McMurray. It was simple. I'll explain the process the examiner wants to see.

You start with the pre trip (make sure you explain to the examiner what you are checking as you go or you'll fail). Then you proceed to drop the trailer, drive ahead 10 feet, and rehook to the trailer. Make sure you stop before you touch the trailer. Hook up your lines, then charge the trailer air system. Make sure you re-apply the brakes before backing under. Tug test twice, then get out and check the connection. Before you start driving, perform a rolling brake check by rolling ahead and stopping every 3 or 4 feet by apply service brakes, spike, tractor park, trailer park one at a time.

Backing up you are allowed to get out and look before you start. They let you back on your good side. I was told you get 1 pull up provided you can get your trailer wheels between the first 2 posts on your first attempt.

On the actual road test portion they will have you perform a hill park so make sure you know which way to point the wheels. *Hint: If the examiner asks what to do if you plan on leaving the truck parked on the hill for a while, tell him you would chock the wheels.

The biggest thing that failed a few friends of mine was not explaining to the examiner what they were doing. The examiner can't read minds obviously so you need to tell him you're inspecting your tires for cracks/cuts/bulges/wear, he needs to know you are checking your mirriors etc.

Good luck, hope this and everything else that was posted helps!

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  6. grainhauler

grainhauler Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Thought you don't hook the trailer lines until your hooked in. Airing up a loaded trailer would cause the landing gear to bend no??

7. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That's the way the driving school I went to told us the examiner wants to see it done on the test. Make sure you chock the trailer wheels first. When I took my test it wasn't a requirement that you be loaded (I think BC requires 75% axle weight for road test). I even opted to use a 53 foot tridem deck for better visability during my test.

8. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    You don't have to air up the suspension. It's so old school, they want you to make sure the brakes are set but any trailer now a days will be because they don't use the old style brakes.

9. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Old school will always be the way to go for me....

10. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    When my Dad got his, he went to the DMV and paid $15 for a "chauffeur's license" and that was it (around 1955). When i got mine (1988), it was about half as involved as it is today. We didn't have to unhook and hook OR do a pre trip. Just sat in the seat and told the examiner how to do it. Seems odd that the test is getting more involved and complicated and yet the quality of drivers seems to be going down. Maybe it just SEEMS that way. IDK

11. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    They wouldn't even let me open the hood during my test because of liability. Apparently some poor sap down in Edmonton threw his back out trying to open the hood during his test.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.