Alberta oilfield driving jobs

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by hup, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Canadian-ay

Canadian-ay Bobtail Member

May 31, 2012
    Belleville, ON
    You folks in Alberta have just received a major shock this month thanks to the election Rachel Notley. She did say she would work together it's the oil companies who've created the standard of living that you lall enjoy however she has just named her new chief of staff, Brian Topp who is s extreme fossil fuel hater as you could find left of Greenpeace or David Suzuki. Link is an report from Albert born, owner of the now defunct Western Standard, Ezra Levant. Won't hear this on the CBC. God help you guys.

http://www.therebel.media/brian_topp_you_won_t_believe_what_he

Ted

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Digi-Trucker

Digi-Trucker Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Well as an Albertan I think there are a few reasons why there was such a backlash against the PCs.

1. Bad leaderships and scandals in the last few PC parties that ran the province over e last 8 years. Weak to lacking vision is putting it mildly. If it was Klein or more so Lougheed, you won't see this happening... Maybe, because of the following points.
    2. Really?!? 30 years of a 7 year boom and bust cycle and they did nothing to protect the little guy that worked the long hours, scraped together enough for an over priced house, bought locally where everything is ridiculously expensive, and PAID high taxes (no corporate 10 % for us). Only to loose it all the second oil price dips, or at the whim or your employers profits, which more and more are foreigners.
    3. Albertans are right wing at heart. But piss us off and we react. The PCs had more than enough chances to do something but cow-tower and placate the oil industry and find a way to stabilize, or god forbid, diversify our economy, really there wasn't the money for it? BS. The party/people were the problem.
    4. They (PCs) chose to live or die by oil, so be it. We only chose to build our lives and families here while making a decent living. Not fear for our families future at the drop of a cowboy hat the second there is an issue with oil. While we watch the big international companies come in, pay less taxes, buy out Canadian ones, and only endorse the "Oh you won't do that?... Step a side then." Attitude that prevails here.
    Why not have a 1% diversification tax? Really they can't manage to make that deal? Please, we are ready for someone to step up and work for ALBERTANS. Oh the oil companies will leave? BS. The oil is here, and WE are sitting on it. We can wait for you to come back groveling when you try the same tactics in another country, did I mention we have the oil. Have fun buddy.
    I write this as I take a load to the Texas port to go overseas, and get paid lass by the day, and always less leaving our country, with Albertan products the world oil industry wants. Who is to blame? Don't know. Who has my back? Well it certainly wasn't the PCs....

Just tired of being pushed around, willing to work hard, just don't keep making me pick up the tab, and you get the profit and stability.

4. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    It's not any governments job to manage your life for you. YOU entered a boom/bust industry at your own free will. YOU decide to buy a house in an inflated market (there are LOTS of places in Alberta where houses are relatively cheap and most oilpatch jobs can be accessed from anywhere.) What did YOU do to protect yourself for the inevidable bust while you worked the boom?.

First off, judging by your post you are far from being "right wing". Expecting the government to manage your life and "protect" you from your poor decisions (or even bad luck) is right in the NDP wheelhouse, almost as left wing as you can get. Not only is it not the provincial governments job to "stabilize" the oil industry, it's not even possible. As far as the provincial economy goes, it's NOT oil only, far from it BUT, oil is a big part of it and, yes, the government could/should have encouraged more diversity. However, that's NOT done by throwing money at companies to move/build here. Diversity is accomplished by creating an industry friendly environment to encourage companies to set up shop here. A HUGE part of this is low corporate taxes and reduced red tape.

Yup, the government was running it's day to day on oil revenues and that is just plain poor management. It's like a waitress buying a car and counting on tips to make the payment. It's Stupid. This most certainly had to change but that change won't come from the NDP.

Tax who and what would the money be used for specifically?

And instead we got someone that will work had to make all Albertans equally poor. Greta for those that still want to live like they are 6 years old and mom and dad did everything for them and they had no responsibilities but no so good for adults that want to make their own decisions and are willing to accept the rewards of their successes and the responsibility for their failures.

Guess what, Alberta is not the only place in the world with oil. We are not even the only place with oil in Canada. Ask yourself this, why is it that Saskatchewan's oil industry was next to non existent for decades of NDP rule, then with the entrance of the more right, industry (and diversification) friendly Sask party, they have an oil boom taking them from one of canada's have not provinces to one of the wealthiest?. THEY ALWAYS HAD THE OIL. Their oil sands could be as expansive as Alberta's and North dakota's Bakken oil field runs well up into sask (or did you think the oil stopped at the boarder?) Make no mistake, oil companies WILL leave Alberta if govt policies make it impractical to be here just like they stayed OUT of sask for decades

Personally, I got tired of the oil field BS and left a year ago. Nothing to do with the government, it was the oil companies/industry that I didn't like. It was my choice to enter the patch and it was my choice to leave. Curious, what "tab" were you picking up?.

dustinbrock and Prairie Boy Thank this.
  5. Kral(imparator)

Kral(imparator) Bobtail Member

May 22, 2015
    Hi I need help I'm from montreal I have my Classe 1 since 2012 but never been on the road no experience ,now working in security 40 hours a week and making 2100$ net a month (my question is is it worth to leave my job to be trucker please help and idea abaut tanks

6. nitrogen

nitrogen Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    Way too many qualified guys out here right now. Look for a local job right now. Maybe just running a tandem to start

Kral(imparator) Thanks this.
  7. Kral(imparator)

Kral(imparator) Bobtail Member

May 22, 2015
    Tanks for info as info what is salary and how is work please can you give me some info

8. nitrogen

nitrogen Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    No idea what they pay in Quebec. Try to find a small company where the owner is the boss. Make a good impression on him and good chance he'll offer you something

9. DavetheraveP

DavetheraveP Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Boy oh boy. I read the first few pages of this thread from 2011. The good ol' days. I spent the last 6 years up in the Mac. Worked for Diversified, Ceda, Surmont Sand and Gravel, Badger, and finally Flint (which is now AECOM, formally URS Flint) Got a lay off during the big Suncor head hunt and went back to Calgary. I've been doing more work for oil companies since coming home....but nothing major. Shutdowns still go on, and smaller outfits still need daily service. But this is all call out type work. There are a ton of skilled people waiting to get back into the big oil money that we're all accustomed to. I'm one of them.

nate980 Thanks this.
  10. 401_alley

401_alley Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Might be time to have good look at SK as opposed to AB for those that can afford to uproot...

Licensed to kill Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.