All I Transmit Is A Squeal...

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Ken, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    Obviously I've hung around you people to much. I looked at the title of this thread and thought "oh maaaaaan Ken is over sharing about him and Mrs Ken's happy time again".:biggrin_25521:

Ken and Scarecrow03 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Calve

Calve Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
  4. Jolsen

Jolsen Heavy Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    East of the big crick
    I would replace the coax as it is the cheapest part to replace. Most the time the factory coax goes bad fast due to them using the cheapest thing known to man.

I went to a shop to get my swr checked. They stuck a 5ft firestick on and got 6s or something like that. My Astatic Linerloaded 1000watt was getting 1.5 So sometimes Your truck just likes a different antenna. I dont know how to really explain this. But they put firesticks, sharpshooters, brownings and all kinds onto my mount. Before I told them the one I came with had a 1.5 all these have higher readings screw this I will stick with what I have. Although that 10k did really good. They want $240 for those :O I also own a grant xl I LOVE IT Try turning the mic gain down to only halfway up also :D

Ken Thanks this.
  5. Ken

Ken Couch Commander

Oct 29, 2006
    Actually I did that and it worked for awhile. Then it went back to blasting squeal..

I found a cb shop at the TA in North Bend. It's on my way to a job I'm working on in Cle Elum.. I hope they're open tomorrow..

6. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    You sure you're not catching your finger in the mic button and it's just you squealing?

jez sayin.....................:biggrin_25522:

7. Ken

Ken Couch Commander

Oct 29, 2006
    Oh God.. I'm getting bagged on by a Swifty... :biggrin_2559: The shame.. :biggrin_25524:

Texas-Nana Thanks this.
  8. Jolsen

Jolsen Heavy Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    East of the big crick
    I know someone has played with my XL before i got it. The mic gain knob is my talkback vol knob. The dim switch and the Hi low switch send me to "extra channels" Which I am NOT happy about and want it put back the way it belongs.

9. Ken

Ken Couch Commander

Oct 29, 2006
    I bought mine new over 20 years ago and it was tuned up by the shop I got it from.. It's been sitting in a box for about the last 15 years until I installed into this truck..

10. Jolsen

Jolsen Heavy Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    East of the big crick
    Ken Thanks this.
  11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Squealing and high swr are more than likely 2 separate problems. Make sure all your connections are clean and tight. to start with.

The squeal is probably a bad mic cord probably need to re-solder the ground or audio wire. The high swr is a little tougher but here goes.

When you tune a antenna system you tune them 1 antenna at a time. A coax jumper (I use 9' rg142u) between the mount and the swr bridge. If your using a 4' firestick (becareful if you cut to much you can't put it back) I have cut as much as 2 feet of wire off them to get them to tune. Tune the antenna on the mount it is going to be used on. After tuning both antennas reconnect the factory phasing harness and recheck. Make sure all connections are clean tight and not showing corrosion. Be sure to look for the in-line connectors the factory phasing harness are tight and clean and free of corrosion.

The engine noise is or could be a bad or insufficient ground, and again clean and secure, make sure that your radio not only has the ground connected to the black power wire, but also to the mounting bolts of the case.

Should be enough to get you started...

Ken Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.