Am I nuts?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by tony97905, Oct 11, 2015.

1. tony97905

tony97905 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Land of Ahhhhhs
    I've recently staryed driving for a living (Nov 2014) after having been a technician all my life. I'm currently working local flatbed, outstanding insurance and decent pay but I've always wanted to become an O/O. I've been looking at pre-emission trucks and nearly new trailers...but then I am quite particular and the idea of a new glider seems better. Harrison has CAT and DDEC trucks, and although I don't hate Detroit I know CAT very well, but they are about $14k more for the same truck. Anyway, I am leaning heavily towards making this happen....either leasing to Landstar or going full O/O and I am just head-strong enough to be successful I believe. I'm sure the first year will be a major learning curve and I'll take some lumps but not impossible. What do you veterans of the higbway think....stay put or chase the dream?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You're one step ahead of me so far. Still currently a heavy equipment tech but I'm looking in to a career change in the next year or 2. Did being a tech count for anything while job hunting? I would guess that having a strong mechanical background would be an asset.

tony97905 Thanks this.
  4. CanadianVaquero

CanadianVaquero Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You are nuts! Haha. I would say if you figure the numbers check out, chase your dreams.
    Northern, I get asked all the time if I'm mechanical at all (they see the rsnch experience on my resume) and it sure seems to help a lot. Guys seem to like that I can do an.alternator, etc on the road if need be.

tony97905 Thanks this.
  5. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Pretty cool that a spare alternator is part of your normal equipment; what else are you driving around with?

ChromeNut Thanks this.
  6. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Yep I agree your nuts. But if you can work the numbers and can afford a Glider I'd go for it? In fact I am going for one next year at Fitzgeralds. And I'm going for the cat also, only in a T660. Good Luck

tony97905 Thanks this.
  7. CanadianVaquero

CanadianVaquero Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I was working for a guy that had parts in his shop. I asked if I could grab some for the truck, I had a starter, alt, bunch of belts, plugs, hoses, lines, etc. Alternator ended up grenading on me in the middle of nowhere in the winter on one of the (in my opinion) worst roads in Canada. Took me a bit but I got rolling again.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  8. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    I had to ask :/ LOL

CanadianVaquero Thanks this.
  9. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
  10. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
  11. tony97905

tony97905 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Land of Ahhhhhs
    Northern it helped me....we're a private fleet so trucking is a necessary evil where I'm at and the Maintenance Dept really does nothing on the equipment. My truck is a full service lease but I have put a lot of sweat equity into our trailers and that has been much appreciated by management.

CanadianVaquero Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.