Ambassador bridge toll question

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by ishcp, Sep 29, 2016.

1. ishcp

ishcp Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2015
    every time I cross the border, I have to pay 27.50 usd for the toll bridge. I ask the other owners. they said they never pay this. they only pay the cross border transponder like 200 something per year. they dont pay the bridge anyone know why?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    It depends on your weight. Those cameras that flash is how they send you the bill in the mail. You are charged 5.00 usd for not having an account with them with their transponder, per crossing. For the Canadian toll it is I think 6.25. On top of the toll, that is. Alternatively, you could email them (phoning doesn't work - they never answer), wait a few weeks for a response, eventually get a transponder, send them a check to fund the account (it is a draw down type thing), and do it that way. They have made it a hassle. I use Sarnia/Port Huron if going that way and I have the choice. If they would get on the EZpass network I would still cross there.

If you are talking about the border transponder for CBP that is a different thing. The fees recently went to like $400. You pay and get it, or they will send you in to pay in cash every time. Just another cash grab.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you cross into Windsor, from Detroit on that bridge, always, always travel the three miles or so to Windsor east for Canadian Customs. There is a HUGE fabulous truck customs to go through whatever you have that is being delivered. Sometimes papers need to be picked up from the brokers or agent who arranged your arrival with that load. Do not proceed past customs until the Canadian Officer says you can go.

Do not stop in that girlie bar there, Canada once had a adult age of consent at 14. I don't know what it is now, but statuary rape is a consideration if you fool around downtown there.

5. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    I think you are talking about the toll. Its based on weight. I used to have a bridge card that the company paid. Guys that paid their own tolls knew which scales didnt work. It was amazing how many trucks went across empty in those lanes

6. Tai

Tai Medium Load Member

I'm guessing the people who "never pay" have an ambassador sticker in there front window from their company. I had an driver ask how much the birdge was and all I could say was "no idea" because not something I needed to know.

I have had to pay the CBP fee out of pocket (company reimbursed) because I was issued a new truck in November and it wasn't worth the 200-400 dollar fee for two months since they apparently don't prorate them.

7. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Is that you PackRatTDI?

gokiddogo and w.h.o Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hayul no. LOL. Don't even know who that is. There is only one me.

tinytim Thanks this.
  9. ishcp

ishcp Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Just got back to work guys. thank you for the reply. I appreciate your help. but that was not really my question.

there are 2 parts of the toll we need to pay.

1. it is the transbonder. it is a square sticker on your window. you can pay for the whole year I think it is like 400 something or you have to go to D counter to pay. I think it is like 13 dollars ( before was 10.75)

2. this is the bridge toll. you have your sticker on your window which look like a bridge. this toll is 27.50 dollars every time you cross the bridge. I am an oo. I have to pay that myself. freaking expensive. I was trying to ask if there is something like you can pay for a year instead of 27.50 each time. that was my question.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Tai

Tai Medium Load Member

From everything I know the answer is no. If you get to choose your borders yourself the bluewater bridge is $2 an axle cheaper and over all is normally a faster crossing even if you have to go though Detroit (Except during rushhour.)

x1Heavy, tinytim and ishcp Thank this.
  11. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    I asked a guy today. What he said was the company put up a bond and then they automatically billed the company. He claimed it was 5 g for the year. Im asuming that was for all the truck in the company. The co has around 80 truck's. I know for permits sometimes you have to put up a bond so I'm thinking its a similar program .

ishcp and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.