Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Vnl630

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by mikey747, Jul 23, 2016.

1. mikey747

mikey747 Light Load Member

May 13, 2016
    I have a 2007 Vnl 630 and I'm looking for the location of the ambient air temperature sensor. Mine has either come loose and moved or is faulty. I looked at my dash and the outside temp was reading 113 deg. Fh. and this was at night when the temp was 76 deg. Fh. All replies are appreciated and thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    look between on your headlight harness right in the middle of the two headlight zip tied to harness on the hood if you chase down the wires from left headlight to right you cant miss it right in the middle of the harness.

Shananaginz and mikey747 Thank this.
  4. Volvo8873

Volvo8873 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    I have the same problem. Does this affect driving performance at all?

5. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Sometimes stupid mechanics will reattach improperly and it will read hot air from too close to radiator

Shananaginz and CoyoteExpress Thank this.
  6. CoyoteExpress

CoyoteExpress Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Carlingford NB Canada
    Hi
    Do you got a picture from the right position pls
    Thx

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  7. mikey747

mikey747 Light Load Member

May 13, 2016
    Mine turned the cooling fan on and left it on but when I put water on it and cooled it back down the fan went back to normal operation.

8. me myself and I

me myself and I Heavy Load Member

Oct 5, 2009
    vernon hills,Il
    I don't think it does anything other than shows temp. Fan comes on for high coolant temp and for A/C

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Hi Coyote,

It should be on lower bumper opening area. If it's dangling or close to the radiator, it won't read right. Make sure it's getting good direct airflow

CoyoteExpress Thanks this.
  10. Rollin'Diesel

Rollin'Diesel Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Thomasville
    The sensor is located in the headlight harness. The HL harness runs on the underside of the hood from LS HL, fastened slightly below the grill to the RS HL. The air temp sensor is in the harness near the grill. Its slighyly easier to access the sensor from the passanger side.
    FYI, this sensor is your ambient air temperature sensor. It just reads current surronding air temp.
    I have read that the ECU does use this data for intial start up or something. ... but I have never seen a faulty sensor actually cause any issues.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. benrab

benrab Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    For information a Volvo truck with a Cummins engine OR a Volvo engine are not using the same P/N of ambient temp sensor also the electrical connector is not the same make sure to don't swap them.
    If your truck is equipped with an automatic heater A/C system that sensor is involve in the operation.
    The cluster is sharing the outside temp with the other ecu(s) of the truck via Data Link.
    My suggestion, check for damage wire or corrosion inside of the electrical plug on the LH of the bumper side corner.
    Ben

1#hammerlane Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.