An IC meeting in Green Bay.

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by TennMan, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Dunno man. I've been a pfj customer for almost 4 years and no fuel issues on two different trucks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    was going to say.....I buy about 90% of my fuel from PFJ......I change my fuel filters around 50k. Never had an issue. I will say this, I bought some fuel at a Hess in SC that doesn't do the whole "BioBlend" and there was a noticeable difference in performance. But, all in all PFJ has been fine.

4. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    That's what I'm saying. There shouldn't be a noticeable difference but yet there is. I'm starting to think I'm going to stop worrying about the discount I am getting on the fuel especially when I have to treat it just to get it stabilized and just buy quality fuel to begin with. Problem is I'm not sure I'm factually correct about this fuel problem. Really believe I am though.

5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    well your / our problem is that we have no control over what is available to be sold......it's, in many cases, controlled by the state we're buying it in. So, there ya go

6. Dogals right foot

Dogals right foot Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2013
    The Dreaded Northeast
    I've had good results with TA/Petro fuel.
    Better mpg and less filter changes.
    Than again I'm out of the T680 since December..that thing ate filters.

sealevel and redoctober83 Thank this.
  7. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    I'm changing them Monthly, well KW is Everytime they replace the fuel pump they also do the filters....lol

8. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    I'm going to try nothing but ta fuel for the next month if for nothing else but to ease my mind. Have a four year track record on this truck so I will see. Maybe I'm going crazy. Idk. Will keep you all posted on the results. No bs included.

9. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    When I first got the NASTC card, I fueled at TA's and a few mom and pops for several months. NASTC has sucked for me lately so have been back to pfj for weeks now. Have noticed absolutely no difference between all the different fuel sources with a dd15.

10. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    I'm not saying pfj sells bad fuel, it's just not the best option for me. The bio around here is animal fat, which is horrible for modern engines, especially in cold weather. Think of how bacon grease looks when it cools down. I've hauled the stuff and even at 20° it turns to sludge and is a hassle to work with.

Other areas they use vegetable based bio, which actually cleans the fuel system. It won't give you issues in cold weather if its treated right, which it should be at the rack, and pfj has additional additives at delivery at <15°.

I fuel at speedway, which doesn't use any bio unless they run out of supply at the rack, which is rare. At least that's how it is here, I don't know about other regions.

Scott72 and sealevel Thank this.
  11. RootHog

RootHog Heavy Load Member

May 23, 2008
    NWA
    The trend here in the conversation leads back to the fuel filter.

In the past, with a cascadia and with a t680, I had no fuel filter issues.

With my current truck, fuel at a pilot will stop up my filter within 5k.

Also, fueling anywhere south of Dallas will result in faster fuel filter clogging.

The reason for it being so noticeable is the 7 micron filter I use now. The previous trucks used a 25 micron that you could probably go 100k without replacing.

I think it comes down to the additives put in the fuel as to how quickly the bio content will stop up the filter.

Like I said, it's not dirty fuel that is an issue from any of these companies. Took me a while to realize it. As I posted quite a few posts back, I can take a filter that is 3/4 full, dump a gallon of power service in each tank, and the filter will be almost empty by the next time I need to fuel again.

Bio simply does not want to flow through a 7 micron filter, and for whatever reason, I consistently go longer without the filter stopping up with fuel from t/a.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.