Andrus Transportation (St. George, UT)/Chaining policy

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Jeremy102077, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Jeremy102077

Jeremy102077 Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have a job offer from Andrus Transportation, out of St. George, UT. They sound like a good company, offering me a pretty decent package. I'm leaning towards making the move. With one reservation: It's a 11 western regional position (aka the states with the chain laws during winter months), and my recruiter has told me they will ask drivers to chain up and keep going, when chain laws are in effect.
    Simply put, I don't chain just to cover miles. Never have, never will! I have chained up before to get to a safe parking spot, but that's the only circumstances in which I will do so.
    I'm not asking anybody for their opinion about that part...no offense. You want to insult me, call me names, tell me how much less of a trucker I am than you, because you chain up every chance you get...good for you, take it to somebody who gives a darn. If you're like minded with me about chaining up...that's great too, but still not the point of this post.
    What I'm wanting to know is this: If there's anybody who drives for Andrus Trans., and has gone through the winter months with them before. What was it like when conditions got really white and hard to see out your windshield? Did you have your DM's sending messages, calling you, telling you to "strap them on and get moving"? Or did you tell them you're "gonna wait until the plows clear the road, and the chain law gets lifted, then you'll get moving after that" (my usual response in chain conditions), and have them be ok with that?
    Also, how heavily does Andrus run along the I-70 area of Colorado, through the Eisenhower tunnel and Loveland Pass? I got the impression from my recruiter, that aside from it being a "11 western" position, that the majority of the runs will be along the I-15 corridor, including Colorado and Wyoming to the east (70/80).
    I have driven for another carrier before, that had a similar stated chaining policy, Intestate Distributor, out of Tacoma, WA. But despite their policy, I never once had my dm try to push me to chain up. So long as I relayed to him, the info about the situation, and my plan, when I expected to be rolling, etc. He was perfectly cool with that. So that's why I'm asking about Andrus. Hoping to find something similar to what I've experienced before, wanting to know if I should be expecting something else.
    Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pjw044

pjw044 Heavy Load Member

If weather is bad enough to chain....it time to park and be safe !!!

Junkyarddog5958 Thanks this.
  4. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    That ain't necessarily so. Sometimes the law will make you chain as a preventive measure. I've driven zillions of miles with chains on, not because it was fun. I don't recall that I ever shut down for any reason besides high winds, bad visibility or closed road.

Upright Thanks this.
  5. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    Dude, why even consider a company that told you they chain up? If you dont chain then That would have been the deal breaker. Dont come here expecting people not to give thier opinion good or bad about your post. Chain up. Be a man.

6. Upright

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    Lmao I quoted the wrong post.

7. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Seems like you might have...

Upright Thanks this.
  8. Ok big boy

Ok big boy Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2014
    I have to chime in on this,you can give me the finger.I worked for them from 1994 to 2002.Under Jim & Bill.How Jimmy looks at it I don't know.I chained a handful of times,it was mostly how the wind blows with them.one week Jim goes balistic with units not moving between Wamsutter & Laramie. policy went to chain NO Matter what!
    Within 2 weeks he has 1 totaled truck and 2 badly damaged , then he says " You guys need to stop, when it gets that bad". What? I don't have an answer for the present,The I 70 was the only problem kid I had to deal with,. Most of the Denver and SLC freight, I just watched the weather and missed it, Either I 70 or across I 80.They never said anything about routing.I worked later for some guy's in Colorado on the western slope. Chained 2 to 4 times a week there. It was to over the hill. I am not chaining to drive 25 plus miles.I personally would never make a driver in my employ chain up.When I was there they were small enough , my dispatch would load me in and out of the area's I wanted to run. They would offer me what loads they had. Hope to see some responses for what going on there now. Good Luck!

rachi Thanks this.
  9. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Why are you driving a truck if you don't want to do part of the job? Obviously at the end of the day, it's ultimately your choice to chain or not, you're the driver. But living in the west, and knowing that there will be occasions where you have to chain, why are you in trucking?

10. Upright

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    To chain or not to chain that is the question. Op: I dont chain for miles whatsoever. Then he comes here asking about the company that will ask him to chain up. Huh? His reply to the offer should have been thanks but no thanks.
    Its like me saying I dont like petes cuz I think they are junk and I have my mind set that I might as well buy chinese than a pete then have the audacity to go to a forum and ask about the petes then say, your opinion on it does not matter to. What?

11. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Chaining is part of the job.

mountaingote and Ok big boy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.