Another Orientation Thread

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Hudson_MacBeth, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Hudson_MacBeth

Hudson_MacBeth Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2015
    Hi everyone!

I originally started driving back in 04 with a big orange trucking company, and drove for them for a year. From there, I went with a company quasi local to run east coast for a year for much better money. A job opening not driving truck, and local, came open and I took it, but eventually went back to the better money and better treatment driving for the quasi local company. Since then, the company was sold, and majorly downsized. We were given the choice to either fill out another application and paperwork for the chance to be hired on with the new company (slim chance for drivers with less seniority), or to find work elsewhere. I found work elsewhere.

So, now that you have a little background, I have not driven a tractor trailer in 6 years, but have almost 4 years experience. I have spoken with a recruiter, and she says that this is no problem, and that I would just have to do an "extended check ride." Does anyone have any information about the extended check rides? Also, I have to finish working out my notice given to my current employer before starting orientation, which is also supposed to be no problem. However, my license is due to be downgraded due to expired medical card if I dont turn in a new medical card soon. So, I am going to pay for my own physical and get that all taken care of. (would be downgraded before my notice with current employer is finished) Since I will have a shiny new long form and card that will be less than 30 days old when i get to orientation, will I still have to get another?

I was also told that I would not have to team. Is this true?

And finally, are experienced drivers given any choice of where they are dispatched out of? I am going to orientation out of shippensburg, but hear they mainly dispatch into the northeast. I would greatly prefer to be running south, and west.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and any info would be helpful.

Stay Safe!

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    The Springfield terminal is a good one. Doesn't matter which one you go to if you plan on running all 48 states. Keep in mind that teams mainly go west. Solo drivers do a lot of east of the Mississippi.

You probably won't have to team it sounds like since you have experience. Don't know what a "Extended Check Ride" is other than maybe a thorough road test.

Welcome to the US Xpress family ! Hope to see you post more often.

Hudson_MacBeth and HorseShoe Thank this.
  4. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Good luck to you. US Xpress is mostly a team company. Just know that going in you'll be saving relays and repowering loads. That 2,000 mile run will be taken off you at the next truck stop to be given to a team. Just saying

Hudson_MacBeth and TruckDuo Thank this.
  5. Hudson_MacBeth

Sep 3, 2015
    Thank you both. I am going to Shippensburg, not Springfield, but no matter. Glad to hear I wont have to team.

I dont mind that I wont be doing much of the west of 35 runs, I just really would like to run more south and out towards texas vs running up into new england and new jersey.

6. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    I don't blame you, Jersey sucks

Hudson_MacBeth Thanks this.
  7. Hudson_MacBeth

Sep 3, 2015
    Yeah, I know. I did predominantly New England and New Jersey in my last driving job. It blew goats. I have proof.

8. AlexFromMD

AlexFromMD Light Load Member

May 18, 2015
    I was in Shippensburg. I spent most of my in Tennessee and Georgia

Hudson_MacBeth Thanks this.
  9. Hudson_MacBeth

Sep 3, 2015
    Got a 2 year dot card this morning. will be hopefully heading to shippensburg the first part of next month. Any idea on if my dot card will be good enough? Can not seem to get my recruiter to return calls. That in and of itself is making me a little skittish.

10. Hudson_MacBeth

Sep 3, 2015
    Hrm....also, I am a ham radio op. Anyone know if usx would object to a ham radio in the truck either in addition to, or replacing a cb?

11. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Possibly. Don't those things require a big antenna ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.