Any advice you experienced guys can give a newbie??

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by AnthonyM757, Feb 5, 2016.

1. AnthonyM757

AnthonyM757 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Hey guys, just interviewed for SEFL's driver trainee program (though I have my CDL with all endorsements). I'm pretty confident that once my background and drug test come back I'll be hired on as a P&D driver.

Any advice you guys can give someone new in the LTL and Trucking industry?? I'm really excited and SEFL seems like a really good company.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Stay away from Lot Lizards and only wear flip flops in the shower.

Mike2633 and Puppage Thank this.
  4. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    It will be a real trial by fire to go from just getting your license to doing LTL P&D. It will be intense and test your skills on a daily basis. Hopefully they take it easy on you and set you up with volume pickups, deliveries, and switches at bigger truck-friendly warehouses before cutting you loose at the tiny places. But no matter what, breathe, don't panic, and ask a lot of questions of your fellow drivers, especially the LTL vets you encounter at your stops. You'll learn a ton from those guys.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

5. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    If your day provides the time, google sat view your stops, at least till you get your berings. Baring that, dont be afraid to put the hazards on and take a quick walk, pulling behind some buildings the wrong direction can be catostrophic. And there not always marked. Keep relaxed, like i tell every new blood i train, "your a big truck, people exspect you to be slow and in the way..... dont disapoint." :)

6. GJlonghaulguy

GJlonghaulguy Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Mobile AL
    Who ever you work for treat it as though it was your own company learn to be reliable, dependable and safe you will get a good reference for future work that way.

7. AnthonyM757

AnthonyM757 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Thanks guys!!

When I was in school we used to be outside practicing backing and other Maneuvers 8 hrs a day for about 2 months.. I used to think it was too much, but now looking forward I'm glad I did it so much.

The thing I like about this program is that I'm going to get 80+ behind the wheel with an instructor learning before they cut me loose

8. Mad Frenchman

Mad Frenchman Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Texas
    take it slow; slow is smooth , smooth is fast
    head on a swivel, watch truck and trailer in mirrors as you go through gates and curves.
    whenever you go to a customer first, park up front and ask them where you need to go, instead of getting yourself stuck in a place you would wish you didnt venture !

and whenever you go somewhere , make sure you can get out :p

Mike2633 and AnthonyM757 Thank this.
  9. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Take your time. Don't get flustered or in a hurry its your CDL even if dispatch is telling you to hurry. Remember a clean CDL gets you a job anywhere even if you get fired vs getting in accidents or tickets. Don't know much about the company but haven't heard any negatives. Welcome to LTL.

AnthonyM757 Thanks this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    For P&D, when in doubt, back in or walk in first. This is ALWAYS preferable to running the risk of having to back out onto a busy highway.

Do NOT volunteer to do anything extra while delivering. Some places will have you stocking shelves if you let them. Unless it's printed on the DR, your job is to drop it at the door.

I know you mentioned P&D, but don't discount the possibility of being used for shorter linehaul runs as well. For linehaul, scale EVERY load, regardless of what's printed on paper. Unmanifested freight is an omnipresent problem and is very capable of requiring a reverse hookup. I've personally seen it happen.

11. onlyoneEagle-me

onlyoneEagle-me Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Lake Elsinore,CA.
    Avoid blind parking at all costs, only when there is absolutely no other way, if they got you out the Condo then is much better.
    Make sure you are going into the right Company, park outside and walk to the gate and ask, some places don't let you make a u-turn on their property and backing it up sometimes is a b....
    Be polite and courteous to other drivers, to shippers and receivers, you are the face of your Company, and most of all, DO NOT whine, nobody cares if you are having a bad day, maybe I Am having a great one and you just ruined it.

Big Don, Brettj3876 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.