Any Dayton freight drivers here?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by dextrdog, Feb 2, 2016.

1. dextrdog

dextrdog Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    They just posted a position for p&d and transportation ( line haul)... Does anyone know what kind of schedules they work? Like start times? Is it as bad as Conway where they call you with a start time in the morning? Different time every day or is it more stable?? Never worked at Conway, just heard from numerous people . Any other info would be great.. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Yep. Assuming you're asking about Milwaukee ftom your profile. Each terminal can be run differently according to what their needs are. Mine has regular start times that are bid on according to seniority starting at 0630, with some 4-10 type bids as well. There are a few on-call bids, but the drivers who pick them do so to get earlier starts than they would otherwise. Transportation drivers start between 2000-2200.

Go for it. Dayton is a really good company. Best job I've ever had, honestly. PM me if you'd like.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Texas_hwy_287, dextrdog and Mike2633 Thank this.
  4. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    If I was going to work LTL and will see what happens depends on what they decide to do in the future with our transit shuttles and there point of origin, but Dayton Freight is where I would go work if I was going to get into LTL.

The Shadow and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  5. Thegasman

Thegasman Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2015
    I got offered a job at Dayton in Des Plaines the same time Airgas offered me a job. Went with the Gas. But I did like everything I saw at Dayton. Airgas paid more however and I liked the schedule they had open for me. Overall I felt that going with a company who hauls their own product could weather most economic storms

6. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    which airgas term. Riverdale?

7. Thegasman

Thegasman Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Elk Grove Village

8. lagbrosdetmi

lagbrosdetmi Box Monkey

Jul 1, 2014
    Detroit
    I interviewed with Dayton at the brownstown barn, thought it was going well til he told me he wanted me to start in a straight truck for a couple months.

The pay is less but you'll have a set schedule!

I did not let the door hit me in the ### on the way out. But I've heard good things about dayton, probly would've taken the gig.

Texas_hwy_287 and superflow Thank this.
  9. skinnytrucker

skinnytrucker Heavy Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    U.P. of Michigan
    That's the best job I ever turned down. Was offered the job 2 years ago and I still regret not taking it

slim shady Thanks this.
  10. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I get that. I would've taken the straight truck gig if it were offered to be temporary like that, but only because my previous job paid so poorly that the Class B position would've been a big step up!

I'll take a straight truck out every once in a while to do a special late delivery or something, but I don't get paid less to do it. That sucks that you would've been hired at the lower scale. The truth is that job is actually harder in terms of physical labor.

11. lagbrosdetmi

lagbrosdetmi Box Monkey

Jul 1, 2014
    Detroit
    It all worked out ok - parlayed the interviews I went on last spring into a substantial raise at my company. And a mon-fri route. There are worse jobs than humping produce I'm sure, I won't complain too much :occasion5:.

Mike2633 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.