Any legal issues with load past the front of trailer?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Bdog, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I am looking at a day cab truck with a long wheel base. Not that it is something I necessarily desired but it is what I found.

I will be pulling a drop deck with my own equipment on it. What I want to put on the upper deck is a little long for up there. Thought about having it hang 3-4' over the front. It won't hit the truck so that is not a concern but is it legal?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    I've ran frame rails with 6-8 inches overhang in the front with no problems from the law.

Legally I think the magic number is either 4 or 6 inches in the front. I have a quick reference guide at home I'll check if no one else can answers by the time I get there to check it.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I have headboard on my trailers, but I think 2,3 feet is all you want over the front. Not sure though, but if you don't have a headache rack you might get hassled by the DOT.

5. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I think it depends on the state, I don't think you are required to have a headache rack, and in Ohio they don't care about overhang as long as you don't exceed 53'.

G13Tomcat and peterbilt_2005 Thank this.
  6. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    That's a good question.
    [​IMG]
    A load is considered oversized if it exceeds the standard legal size or weight limits for a road or highway. There are also “load per axle” limits for the weight of a load. Examples of wide or oversized loads include pre-fabricated homes, construction machinery, industrial equipment, and wind turbine propellers.

Using wide load or oversize load banner signs, safety flags and wide load banners is a Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requirement for any commercial motor vehicle handling an oversized or wide load. Size and weight parameters vary between states, so it is important to research what the rules are for states through which you will be transporting oversized or wide loads.

Click a state in the list below for more information about wide load and oversize load banner requirements, safety guidelines, and permit information:

List by State

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    It depends on the state and it also depends on what your hauling. In a lot of southern states TX,LA,AL,MS, etc pipe is exempt and so are a lot of other products.

Some states only talk about how much you can have hanging off the rear.

In other words its a per state and per what you are hauling basis…...

8. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Seems the most efficient response.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Front overhang can go to 3 feet without special permit, at least in UT.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  10. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    They don't require headache racks anymore

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I have hauled long with 5 feet front overhang, but I had permit for long load it was 65' long on a 48' trailer.
    If it is more than 1 piece you may have an issue.

Recently in Wyoming I was given a ticket for a multiple piece oversize. Truck, trailer and load was shorter than length on permit.

The piece on bottom was 52' so with trailer bottom38' that was a 14' rear overhang, this I had permit for. The second piece was on top deck it overhung front by 6".
    Because it was not 1 total piece! here is your ticket.

Multi piece in Wyoming can only be 60'.
    1 piece can overhang front and back no limit. Well within permit dimensions.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.