any prime trainers in here?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by duckdiver, Nov 28, 2015.

1. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    I've been thinking about being a trainer and have been seriously looking at Prime. How long do you have to drive for Prime before you can train? Can you stay as a company driver to train? And how's it pay? Thanks.

About me, have almost 4 yrs, ran otr, regional and local. Was never a trainer technically but when I was a fleet manager at jb hunt I trained all my drivers (went out with them, showed them up to use the Peoplenet, worked on backing etc with them)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. albert l

albert l Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2013
    On the Road
    I can answer this as a yes, the others I do not know

My FM periodically asks in his messages about those that want to become a trainer

They are a Mega that trains I am sure they could use you
    Ring a recruiter

sgtcole69 Thanks this.
  4. duckdiver

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    Ok so I talked with a recruiter, he said I had to drive at least 3 months with Prime before I can train which isn't a big deal to me.

I did have a few questions that I couldn't find searching here or on YouTube. The recruiter said I'd start out at 44.5 cents driving the lightweight, that's what the new students out of training start at, is that right? Usually other companies will compensate you for your experience.

Also I read another gentleman had experience came to Prime had to do 15k miles with a trainer, not sure if it was because he took some time off, I have not. My recruiter said I would just do 3 days of orientation and be sent off.

Lastly do I have to do the same extensive testing as the cdl students? I mean I figure I'll have to do a road test, I'd just like to know what to expect. Thanks!

5. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Can't answer about any additional pay coming in with experience.

3mos to train w/no service failures, preventables or excessive critical events. Meeting expected #'s as far as fuel milage & costs. 1yr to become instructor.

Other guy must have had time off or not enough experience.

With enough past experience without interuption and clean class A in hand, you'll likely just do the abbreviated orientation & road test. Seen many guys come over & do just that.

Luck out to you whatever you decide.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Brehon and duckdiver Thank this.
  6. PChase

PChase Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Show Me State
    Personally I thinknits crazy to train others with three months experience.

7. duckdiver

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    Ok for an update, they said I'll start at .46 since I have experience. I was told if I become a trainer, the student gets .12 a mile from my check, so basically I'd get .34 for all miles, is that true? Usually the other companies keep your pay the same but you get all miles, just wanted to clear it up, thanks!

8. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Medium Load Member

May 23, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    That sounds about right. The student's guarantee does come out of the revenue to the truck.

I know I am about to say something shocking here but you can generally trust what the recruiters say. They actually tell you the truth instead of filling you full of BS to get you sign up.

duckdiver Thanks this.
  9. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is for TNT, and the trainer gets paid for ALL miles driven by both the student and the trainer, so in essence you would be making more, not much more but more than if you were driving by yourself.

darthanubis and Brehon Thank this.
  10. michaelg

michaelg Light Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Michigan
    The trainer I had was a L/O and my pay did come from his settlement. I don't know how it works if you're a company side trainer, but I don't think the trainee's pay would come from your check since the company owns the truck.

I do know you'll get a weekly training bonus + bonuses when your student passes their exam to move on to an A seat. In PSD when I trifecta'd my trainer got a $1000 bonus (I got $250) as well.

darthanubis and Highway101 Thank this.
  11. Brehon

Brehon Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    That is correct. On our last settlement I received .14 per mile from it and he got the rest for the 6200 miles

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.