Anyone been up to Slate Falls, ON?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Zeviander, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Potentially got a load going up either tomorrow or Thursday. Nobody knows anything about the area, just wondering if anyone has any info about the roads heading up that way.

Google Maps says the trip from Sioux Lookout to Slate Falls is 176 km and takes 4.5 hours. I'm guessing it's not very truck friendly. Not sure why they'd take this load. My dispatcher thinks I'll be able to get out there, deliver and be back in Dryden in the evening. I didn't want to tell him he's delusional. :rolleyes:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    I've never been up there. Never even heard of it lol. Which way off 17 is it?

Are you still taking it?

4. dutchieinquebec

dutchieinquebec Road Train Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Granby.QC
  5. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Yep.

I wouldn't recommend going there. 4 hours to drive less than 150 km from Sioux Lookout.

Gorgeous drive, but very hilly gravel mixed with sand does not a happy driver make. I learned a whole lot about handling a top-heavy load on less-than-ideal surfaces, but wow, I would not have thought it was as bad as it was. There were some hills I climbed (60,000 gross) that coming back through empty, with jakes on full couldn't hold the truck going down. That amazed me.

I only lost traction on one really sandy hill and had to do the "back down and give 'er on the second attempt" and had my air bag leveller arm flip on me twice. But otherwise, I was happy with how it turned out. The unload went smoothly (contractors, which was refreshing) and I got some amazing pictures.

slate falls trip pano.jpg

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Glad it went well. I loved those kind of drives; the more remote the better. I was really disappointed when I had to give a load to Colville Lake, NT, to a fellow O/O as I couldn't be in two places at once.

I was REALLY disappointed when I found out about the two surprise backhauls he got that doubled what was already an extremely generous rate. ;)

Zeviander and nate980 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.