Anyone doing a Lease or O/O with US Xpress?

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by OnTheEdge, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Young_Gun

Young_Gun Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2011
    Tampa, Florida
    Did a spreadsheet with a week's worth of miles at my current company with us Xpress lease pay and payments.

Long story short before taxes my take home would have been: 1279.11.

However i was basing my fsc @.18 (found their fsc formula on their website) and pump price at 2.30 (national avg is 2.56).

Also based my fixed expenses off their calculator.

What am I missing?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    is the $2.30 the pump price or your discount price

in the morning I'm getting fuel for $2.05 (my discount price).... pump price $2.55

my fsc is .19 cpm....... $75.24 for this 398 ml. trip
    fuel used 396/7.2 = 55 gl.
    55 gl X $2.05 = $112.75 - $75.24 (fsc) = my fuel cost of $37.51

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    TruckDuo and Young_Gun Thank this.
  4. Young_Gun

Nov 21, 2011
    Tampa, Florida
    The 2.30 was after discount. That's what I'm finding frustrating. I don't know the average discount fuel price. If i plug in 2.05 as a price one trip that'll increase take home to: 1,300.01.

Granted that isn't bad for a l/p. I completely understand that this isn't a sprint but a marathon and the main goal is to survive so the truck can be paid off. If I were to pay off the truck I could add an additional $535 per week to my take home.

Going back fuel, could you tell me the average fuel price you have paid this week, so I can plug it into my spreadsheet?

5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    my AVG for the last week $1.97

when you signed the lease in the class they had they talked about the fuel discount for maybe 3 min and in the packet of paperwork they gave you is a web-site you can log into and you can see YOUR price at every fuel stop we use.... 2 fuel stops (pilot/flying j) at the same off ramp may not have the same price.... pick the wrong one and pay up to .60 cpg more REALLY...!

right now pilot in Wytheville, VA I-81 ex-77 is $2.52.... the flying j on the other side if the overpass is $1.93...... I almost NEVER use the fuel routing because by doing it myself I can save more money..... I know just how far I can go on a set of tanks..... heavy 1,100-1,200 miles lite 1,350-1,400.... if needed I will short fuel (50 gl.) so I can get to cheaper fuel, and some states I know have high fuel so I always fuel before I go in and have enough to get back out

kerts, TruckDuo and Young_Gun Thank this.
  6. Young_Gun

Nov 21, 2011
    Tampa, Florida
    Fantastic, thank you for the info! With that avg. Fuel cost I estimated my take home, before taxes, to be around $1,400 for a 2600 mile week.

Again this calculation is based off their l/p calculator fixed expenses (including required escrow(s)).

What's promising is that fact that given the right budget I could potentially pay off the truck faster, therefore increasing my earnings by $535.

Would probably indulge in somethings for myself at first but then start putting that amount each week for a newer truck or preparing for an in frame.

Now the question is... Do I want to begin this journey before Christmas... Or after? Before would make sense sense I could take advantage of the Christmas rush...

If I do decide pull the trigger, flood, please keep an eye out in your inbox so I can get you some money.

Cheers!

7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    it would be best to wait till mid to late FEB.

it's way to slow in JAN and remember they will get there money before you do.... you need to be ready for things like that because you will have weeks you don't get a check, you don't get paid for things you do now..... no breakdown pay, lay over pay, YOU pay for motels.... things like that
    you make no money when you go home BUT you still owe your fix cost, just things to think about

TruckDuo and Young_Gun Thank this.
  8. Young_Gun

Nov 21, 2011
    Tampa, Florida
    Very true and I could avoid the worst of the winter... I've gotten to a point at home where I don't need much. So I could survive with 400-500 paychecks. I wouldn't want to but that is why they invented savings.

9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    don't forget repairs
    anything not covered (warranty) YOU pay, (repair account) if you don't have enough to cover it they will take it from your check..... @ around $500 a week until it's paid

I'm a O/O and my truck is older..... in the last 3 months I've had $10,000 in repairs I had to pay for....some was covered by my breakdown account the rest was @ $500 a week.... made for some small weeks and 2 that I owed them

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  10. Tim_1326

Tim_1326 Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2015
    10K. Dam, sorry to hear that. How olds ur truck? Musta been a big repair

11. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    million miles
    rear brakes,(1st time) wheel bearing (1st time), muffler (500k miles), shocks (300k miles), recharge ac (every year) $3,700.......... CAC,(1st time) pipe comming from turbo to CAC,(1st time) towing $2,800............. trans wiring (1st time) $1,000............ 2 egr valves, (600k miles) new batteries (every 18 months) $2,900
    none of them big just 1 right after the next

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.