Are Love's slowly taking control of the truck stop industry?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by A Bug, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Cowtipper

Cowtipper Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2015
    The Flying Pilot corporation is expanding, but instead of building new, they either buy out an existing smaller place, or do their deal with leasing the fuel side of a smaller chain leaving the c-store under the control of original chain (like Rump Ranger, er...I mean Road Ranger). The one way they update their older stores is have a couple convenient accidental fires a year like the Indy J or the Salinas KS J last year.

drvrtech77 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    They are not truck stops.
    They are travel plazas, where they and care for the 4 wheelers, truckers get your fuel get out.

luftkoph and bigkev1115 Thank this.
  4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Loves built a nice one at Fond du Lac, WI, US 41/I-41 one exit north of US 151 junction. Closed shop and showers as nice as any of the majors, not sure how many, but I used #5. Downside is a Subway, but that one isn't the worst I have seen. More staff than usual but I'm only there during the day, no wait for that shower in early evening.

Dominick253 and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  5. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    You may refer to them as travel plazas, pardon me for being in the business for 40+ years and using the common terminology of my era.
    And I have stayed in many "travel plazas" since that change occurred and have never been asked to "get your fuel get out". I don't know how you conduct yourself to get that reaction from them. I am glad they are there and so do thousands of drivers who stay in them every night, mostly for free.

Longarm, STexan and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I don't buy my fuel from pfj , loves and just enuff from petro ta for a shower if if I need it ...the independent suppliers are 10 to 20 cents a gallon cheaper and I don't have to sit behind schoolboys playing with them selves at the fuel island . .

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    If I only traded at the "independent truck stops" and did not want to pay for showers, I'd smell pretty bad after several days. They are simply too far and few between to be practical for most who run all 48. It's funny to hear many beat up on PFJ and Loves but they should be the MOST thankful these exist in the numbers they do, otherwise their precious independents would not be so precious.

8. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
  9. Dominick253

Dominick253 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Of course. Loves has arbys so if I see one around lunch time I'm stopping. :)

10. Dominick253

Nov 19, 2015
    Personally I get sick of the truck stop during my 30. Never overnighted anywhere and if the company forced me to they'd be one driver short. I already told my boss if I run out of time someone is coming to pick me up or that'll be the last mile I drive for them. Otr is such a rip off. What is the average pay? $1k a week? I make that local on $18/hr with 50 hours and if I was willing to do more work or drive further than 10 miles to the yard I could make much more. I guess if you don't have a house or apartment and do it for a few years to save up money to invest then that would be alright. My dad did otr and I asked him if it was cool seeing the country. He said "I've seen every ####hole industrial area in the country. It's not like a vacation at all."

11. Dominick253

Nov 19, 2015
    I second that notion. I used one for months to get $20 worth of points. Then when I went to use them it was a huge hassle and I'd lose any extra money I had on the voucher. Threw the card away. Now I just fuel where I actually want to and they loose sales.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.