Are MaxxForce engines THAT bad? There is a $20k difference between the MF13 & ISX

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Waterfowler90, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Waterfowler90

Waterfowler90 Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2015
    I have a couple of Volvo 670s w/ Cummins ISX engines, and I was looking to replace one with a 2012-13 ProStar. I am pretty happy with the ISX other than an EGR problem every 200,000 miles. But I can't help but notice that there is a $15-20000 price difference(30+%) between the price of ProStars equipped with the MaxxForce engine and the Cummins ISX. Are the MF13s THAT bad? Like $20,000 difference bad haha?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    If you have a good local international dealer, don't idle, and run mostly highway, then the MF might make sense. Otherwise stay away.

My $0.02

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  4. north cakalacki

north cakalacki Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Imagine having egr times 2 mf went with enhanced egr instead of def when that failed they let cummins run the 15l and ran smaller engines with def they are currently being sued for buku denaro because how bad that engine was it's good as a boat anchor that's it

Vampire, Opus and DMAX66 Thank this.
  5. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    You will save money on the purchase, but you will have problems with the MaxxForce which will likely cause you downtime / lost revenue. Plus, you might have a problem getting rid of it if it turns out to be a nightmare.
    I have never driven one, but the reputation is horrible.
    In the long run, the Cummins could end up cheaper to own with less headaches. Plus, the Cummins would most likely easier to resell in the future.
    There is a reason the MaxxForce is so much cheaper.

kenn2632 Thanks this.
  6. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    I have driven one ... . 2013 Paystar with a MaxxForce 13 doing "local" crude oil hauling, usually drove around 300 miles a day. Out of the year and a half, and 120k miles I had it, it spent around 2 months in the shop not making any money. Our terminal had 10 of the em, and mine "was the best" ... ie, my relief driver and I kept it out of the shop, and treated it with kid gloves so it would stay running and keep putting $$$ in our pockets.

Aside from the multiple recalls (lift pump, clutch linkage, clutch, injector pump, turbo actuator) that left it in the shop "waiting" to be fixed. I had the following issues out on the road. Blew up 2 injector pumps before the recall. Replaced turbo x2 before actuator recall. Pulled head ... was burning coolant (as were the other 9 we had). Broken clutch linkage (after recall). And multiple tows because the POS would randomly die in the middle of the road, it would not store a code, pulling power and resetting the computer would get you back going. 2 of our trucks were "bought back" because international could not find the cause of this issue ... they wouldn't make 10 miles without a shutdown (no check engine light, proper fluids, brand new)

They were purchased because international touted their fuel efficiency. Our Pete 389's were averaging low 5's with ISX 15 550's. The paystars with the MaxxForce 13 500's were lucky to break out of the mid 3's. They were spec'd for hwy use and would be running close 1450pm at 65mph. Truck would fall on its face if it even came within sight of a hill loaded or empty. And was a road hazard when trying to get up to speed when grossed out to 80k.

I would not own one unless it was given to me, and it was in a spare truck ... that stayed very local, and I hated the poor ####### that had to drive it

Only shining light about em. We had egr and dpf issues with our ISX's, I never had a problem with the emissions sytem on my MaxxForce.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  7. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    I dare you to buy some maxxforce powerd internationals.

We did the same crap got great deals for the maxxforce trucks in a fleet of almost all volvos. The internationals were the worst investments ever. We bought 5 and all of them had more than 15+k$ of work done on them. Hell even had to burn one down because the note was there but the truck was never moving not making money some 13 speeds some 10 speeds and they were all pure crap..... If you want to lose your mind and whatever hair you have left on your head by all means buy a maxxforce

ralphbohm Thanks this.
  8. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    Run, run away from the Maxxforce

Vampire and KB3MMX Thank this.
  9. skro47

skro47 Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Québec Canada
    I keep earing horror about maxforce. But the only person I know with an International and maxforce never had any issues issues with his 2012.

Only thing was turbo, had to wait 2 weeks for it!!!!

Hes at 500k.

Tygr Thanks this.
  10. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    These anecdotal stories are bad enough. But the proof is the marketplace. The risk has been defined for you. The $20k savings or more might go right back into the truck, or you might be lucky and come out with less. To put it like Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry:

"Do you feel lucky?

Vampire, Brickwall and Knucklehead Thank this.
  11. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    If they would sell me the truck for $10,000, I would act like it was a glider, pull out the MaxxForce, sell the engine for scrap, put in a new ISX, have about $50,000 into the truck, and then maybe start making some money with the truck.

Brickwall, rabbiporkchop and KB3MMX Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.