Are these tires legal?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Joeziah, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Joeziah

Joeziah Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Just curious, of course our road assist guys say "Oh ya, those are totally legal, roll on" but I have my doubts.
    See the photos below.
    I encounter what I can only describe as tread separation in one photo. The other has deep chunks of rubber missing. I'm constantly swapping trailers so I encounter this a lot when doing pre-trips. Tire_01.jpg Tire_02.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Uh no those tires are toast top pic shows cords as well as not having enough tread depth. The second pic assuming those are retreads looks like it is separating yeah I can see a company say oh yeah they are fine. Either the tech is lazy and dose not to change them or they don't have the money to.

Joeziah and unloader Thank this.
  4. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    The tread depth is indeed deep enough on the top photo. But since you can see the steel cord it is out of service.

In the second photo, caps will do that a lot. for me it all depends on how far up the side the cap is lifting. If the thicker part of the cap is lifting then I would not run it. If it is just the thin part that drapes over the side then I would still run it. The tire may look ugly but that does not mean it is unsafe.

snowwy and Ruthless Thank this.
  5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Ok, here is the law... https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/393.75

"(2) Has any tread or sidewall separation," - So that says the second one cannot be used.
    "(1) Has body ply or belt material exposed through the tread or sidewall," so that nixes the first one.

-Steven

Flatbedder73 and Joeziah Thank this.
  7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    If you think that is sidewall separation keep your company driver job because you will go broke replacing tires.

spyder7723, 379exhd, Bean Jr. and 8 others Thank this.
  8. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Top one is definitely unsat.

Joeziah Thanks this.
  9. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    The tire in the top photo is not legal because the regs say that no part of the tire tread shall be less than 2/32 or 4/32 depending on where the tire is. Regardless, the tread depth on that tire at the damage shown in the pic is less than 2/32, which makes it illegal.

Pumpkin Oval Head and Joeziah Thank this.
  10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Wrong. I have pulled trailers with tires just like both that have been posted with no issues, call it the luck of the draw, but the top picture (first picture ) I have ran and been inspected AND issue a CVSA sticker on the equipment. Like mentioned above, if your going to worry about minor stuff like that, keep your company job cause will go broke replacing tires.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    peterd, Bean Jr., Flatbedder73 and 2 others Thank this.
  11. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Right.

Joeziah Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.