Are these tires legal?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Joeziah, Sep 4, 2016.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Where are these exposed cords? Its not a great pic but it only looks like ripped rubber tread. If it was a trailer tire, I'd run it. If its a steer tire, then its a different story.

The 2nd pic isn't an issue either. Recaps do that all the time. Its just a thin rubber strip on the side. As long as the tread isn't peeling off the casing its alright.

peterd, Bean Jr., Joeziah and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The bottom tire is a recap. And that's what they do. Dot won't shut you down.

Might get flack from the first tire but it's not safe or unsafe. Unless it's low on air then that's probably where it will blow..but as for rolling on the ground. The rest of the tread will keep the lowest point from touching.

I'd swap it out but I wouldn't let it stop me from rolling if need be. I think ALL of us have ran tires like that a time or three.

4. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    It is just a small spot but just to the southwest of the pen you see a spot where you can see the steel cord with a thing layer of rubber still over it. They are not going to notice something like that rolling across a scale but may on a closer inspection.

Either way that tire would wait until after the load at the very least. Or "Thanks for pointing that out officer, I would have probably caught it when I stopped for the evening because it certainly was not like that this morning."

I have yet to try this but I hear that if you take some rubber grindings and superglue you can actually fix small cracks and such. I need to do that once and see what I come up with and what happens. Some sort of chemical reaction.

Joeziah and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  5. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Your right re caps do do that. That's why I won't run recaps! My tires are changed usually at 5/32nd on all my tires. I can't afford to stop for a blown tire on the road. If you can't afford to maintain your truck you need to go back to being a company driver. Your not doing it right! That being said most companies will let you roll with those tires. It's your license and your points. Yes the company gets a ding for too but they do t care especially when they have 10,000 trucks on the road

Joeziah Thanks this.
  6. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Back when I was OTR drop and hook, as long as trailer tires held air I ran em.

icsheeple, Joeziah and snowwy Thank this.
  7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    They're both fine. The tread depth on the first pic appears to be 3-4/32nds. Without a gauge pic, it's hard to tell. Marginal, but legal. I don't see any cords showing there either.

The second pic, there is no tread separation. It's just the bead on the retread strip that's come loose. There's no separation of the actual strip from the tire.

If you think it's a problem, then write it up when you do your pre-trip. If you're inspected and the inspector tries to ding you for those items, show him where you wrote it up and tell him that the company told you to carry on. You'll get credit from the inspector for noting it, and will likely get a pass on it.

Get the job done, and worry about the minor details when the day is over.

Joeziah Thanks this.
  8. Stump

Stump Heavy Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Modesto CA
    Stop the first scale you see open, and ask the inspectors what they think.........

icsheeple, No Clutch and snowwy Thank this.
  9. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I would run both of them. I don't see any cords exposed.

I have never seen the purpose in spending money before you have too.

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Truth be told I would too, based on the pics alone.

Of course the picture may not be doing the situation justice. That happens.

Bean Jr. and wore out Thank this.
  11. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    I'd run them, if you get too picky you'll never move a mile.

I've seen brand new tires blow out, and old wore out recaps run until they've turned into drag slicks.

Bean Jr., cnsper and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.