AT&T rolls out new data plan structure

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by Dieselboss, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Essentially, there is very little market for "new" cellular customers in the U.S. Let's face it - we now see everyone from "12-year-olds to great-grandma" with a smartphone at this point.

So the battle is now over PRICING, FEATURES, and DATA,DATA,DATA. Did I mention data?

AT&T announced a new structure yesterday in this war. In not so many words, what it basically does is move back closer to the glory days of "unlimited" that we all had a few years ago. Or at least it is a step that direction. They are eliminating "overage" charges on all plans except for the very lowest one and replacing them with choked data once you have reached your plan limit. And their move follows one recently announced by Verizon.

Now, you may say, "Hey, Sprint has been doing that for a while now in many areas." And you would be correct. BUT, actually all of the carriers have been "toying" with data throttling in the high-saturation envelopes for some time. This is why you can find many posts here on this very forum where one driver posts a pretty screenshot of his or her current usage and bill showing 100 Gigs with no issues. Then, two posts later, a driver will report a serious data throttle after 20 Gigs on his bill last month. It has to do with the datacenter usage "bucket" from state-to-state, region-to-region, city-to-city. If that bucket is relatively full, then you don't get throttled. If it is getting low, you get throttled.

So why is this new, or significant? Because in their quest to RETAIN or GAIN the current saturated market, the carriers have to now come out of the shadows with stuff that they were doing, but none of us actually understood "the pattern" to it. They are disclosing exact throttling policies, they are creating more and more "rollover" policies, and more "shared" policies. And they are LOWERING user costs in various ways AT THE SAME TIME in a race to the bottom-line deal.

It has been a painful few years for truckers as these guys expand their infrastructure, for sure. But I think that as this progresses, it will only get cheaper, more reliable, and faster for the OTR life sooner rather than later over the coming months as these carriers expand the brutal war for market share.

ATT announcement link

Scooter Jones Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    My buddy said Verizon got rid of his legacy unlimited plan.

I'm with straight talk at the moment. Usually works ok.

4. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I knew this day would come. It happens after a technology becomes cheaper and right before new faster technology comes out. Wait til we see what 5G data will cost.

5. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I have AT&T internet and TV at home which I'm looking to switch to another service, after dealing with the BS with these two I certainly wouldn't give them business for cell phone service

CousinVinny Thanks this.
  6. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    I am stuck dealing with AT&T on a regular basis.

I would rather jump in front of a bus than give that horrible, horrible company any more of my business.

poppapump1332 Thanks this.
  7. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    5g will cost nothing much higher than the highest 4g plans when it was first released. It's technology. The capacity doubles approximately every 18 months while still maintaining similar cost. Simple fact is 5g already exists, but on a limited scale and not released for public use.

8. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    how much did it cost when it first came out vs the relative price of today?

9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
  10. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Really hard to say. Most cell plans these days aren't anywhere close to what we had in the days of 3g release.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.