At what point is a double frame truck needed??

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by UltraZero, Aug 21, 2016.

1. UltraZero

UltraZero Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Well, what the heading states.

When is a double frame tractor needed. I originally was going to add a bunch of things I thought, but I didn't want to lead the conversation but open it up to those who know certainly way more than I do and I don't know much seeing how new I am at this. Lol..

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Heavy work the double frame or thick frame. Just regular trucking no need, unless you are running the Northwest Territory or Alaska off road. Just my opinion

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  4. RGN

RGN Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Anything where you can put a bunch of weight between the steer & drives (like @passingthru69, my opinion). Also; my friend's W9 3-axle's frame height is almost 2" shorter than my T8 factory 4-axle with the same wheelbase & power train, so I think frame height also plays into it.

5. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    It has alot to do with the weight your going to haul, wheelbase, and terrain you are going to run. There isn't a simple answer. Regular freight hauling with an average wheelbase it isn't needed.

6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I have seen more frames broken from off road use than heavy hauling. None of our trucks are double framed. except where they were extended. Now for those that want to take highway trucks and do something as simple as pulling a belly dump, that is the stupidest thing that you can do. I have seen many many highway trucks that have cracks in the frame around where the torque arms connect to the frame from the rears. I think that is what you call them.

If you get a truck with a factory drop axle you will notice that the frame on that truck is taller and thicker than a door swinger truck.

WyoVac, Oxbow and johndeere4020 Thank this.
  7. soloflyr

soloflyr Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Are you referring to the torsion bars?

To the OP, my truck is double framed, it was extended to accommodate a lift axle & toolbox/steps between the lift axle & fuel tanks. I regularly do 80-110,000 pound loads with it. I also do lighter legal loads, lighter legal loads than most trucks due to the added weight of the lift axle, lengthened & doubled frame, my tractor weighs 25,360 bobtail full of fuel, so easily 5-6,000 heavier than most tractors.

Oxbow and johndeere4020 Thank this.
  8. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Yep that's it. My truck is a touch over 24k bobtail and single framed

Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    I agree with others.. Off-roading and heavy weight would be the main reasons I think.. Remember you can also get double frame front to back or you can just get it from back to say just behind your cab..

We are double framed front to back and I don't really gross any less then 90,000lbs up to 130,000lbs.. We also are off-road into farm fields and other crappy areas...

I'm just about 22,000 bobtailed and that's just a daycab, but we also have a hydraulic tank and components. Plus my truck is a dual stage pump (bigger hydraulic tank and pump) due to the fact I also pull a dump trailer.. Plus all the DPF crap.....

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Double frame was required back in the day of thinner rails. Today's trucks don't really need it unless you get over 280 wb. Then it will keep the flexing to a minimum. The truck that I'm going to start building this winter will be different. I specd it with 1/2 inches frame rails. A little less rating over double rails, but heck of alot more than single rail.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Did you order a new truck?

Superhauler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.