ATTENTION: CDL changes

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by trucko, Aug 31, 2015.

1. trucko

trucko Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Hey People how are you.

So as you might already know DMV office of NY screwed me.

I had NY learner permit and went to Florida where I did road test on automatic transmission vehicle. So when I get back to NY to get my driver licence NY put restriction that I can only drive automatic. It made me mad and I went to find ways to avoid road test to remove this restrictions. You guys I remember were encouraging me to do new road test on manual transmission vehicle. thanks god I did not believe you truckers :D

So what I did is I moved to New Jersey address, changed NY licence into NJ licence and restriction disappeared. NJ DMV office told me that soon they might also introduce those rules but for now they don't recognize restriction on transmission as such, so I have new licence without any restrictions and no new road test is required.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Paul Geanta

Paul Geanta Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2015
    I just ####ing placed a post about changing states and how about a federally managed CDL! Where do you live?

4. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    Just curious. Can you drive a standard?

5. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    I don't see how you got screwed.

I see nothing wrong with restricting license when you tested in an Automatic.

6. trucko

Aug 3, 2015
    I don't know federal stuff but only NY has this rule that if your road test

7. trucko

Aug 3, 2015
    I don't know federal stuff but only NY has this rule that if your road test was on automatic will give you restriction.

NJ, Florida, PA do not have this option for NOW.

8. Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Milton,IN
    For anyone in Indiana, as of today, many things were changed on the CDL exam. This includes the pretrip, backing maneuvers, and road test. I believe the changes can be found on the DMV website

9. Smooth_Operator

Smooth_Operator Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Actually pretty sure a lot of states do.

Same here in Ga.

10. trucko

Aug 3, 2015
    You see nothing wrong but if this rule existed in other states then I will have to do another road test on manual transmission vehicle. it is another lost month and another few hundred bucks thrown into the trash.

What is funny is Florida school taught me driving on Manual transmission vehicle and on the exam for some reason they F*** brought automatic transmission vehicle. In FL it does not matter you pass exam on automatic or manual you still get the same licence without restriction. But NY is not like that. now NY distinguish road test exams.

God bless NJ, they are much faster in processing applications and will issue licence same day while you will have to wait for New york licence for two weeks to arrive in mail.

11. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Sounds like the School Screwed you NOT the DOT.
    They SHOULD know the rules for other states.

You should have had to retest in a Manual Transmission.
    The whole point of the Test is to demonstrate that you know how to drive a certain type of vehicle.

misterG and Big Don Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.