Bad CB shop/Good CB shop

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by joshmck1982, Sep 15, 2011.

1. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA

42 is a customer of Fine Tune CB. You'll sound like him if you have Mark tune your radio. And your receiver will be as good as it can possibly be. The receive is something many people don't think enough about.... if your receiver is garbage, you may as well chuck the whole radio. What good is getting out if you can't hear half as far as you can get out?

Logan76, slim6596 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. maninthemoon1

maninthemoon1 Medium Load Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Garrison ky
    I seem to hear real good though , I can't sit here an say beyond the shadow of a doubt it's as good as it can be , but regularly if I'm traveling and come with in a 30 miles range of a Base station pumping it out , he hears me fine I hear him fine. If I go to the big dog channels , 26 , 28 , 11 , and 6 , sometimes I talk sometimes I don't , but more times than not if they're talking I hear them which is almost every day L&C.
    My one complaint is , I have this 12v cup holder type inverter , maybe 200w , with 2 plug in and a usb and a 12v plug in , bought lt 2 months ago , when I'm using it it does take from my recv , probably more than I'd like to admit , I pull the plug on it I'm fine again. And yes I know this is ground issue with either the MFG 12v socket , or the Radio ground , or both . One day I'll have a sit around day and check the ground on that socket , if it's not pluged in or just of , it's all good.

4. volvo244t

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Doubtful if it's a grounding issue. Cheap inverters produce lots of RF noise, due to the massively distorted AC sine wave they produce. Pure sine wave inverters emit little to no RF noise.

rabbiporkchop and maninthemoon1 Thank this.
  5. maninthemoon1

Apr 9, 2009
    Garrison ky
    I did forget about the more expensive sine wave , turned on the light for me thanks. Yes agreed , you can get a 2000w inverter for 119.00 , a 1500 w sine wave cost a K if not slightly more. Big , no HUGE difference !
    The little cheapo I got is 29.99 ... It serves a purpose otherwise I wouldn't have sacrificed a cup holder up front , I like to have Ice water and Coffee together most of the time I'm making the wheels hum !

6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    [QUOT="maninthemoon1, post: 4761883, member: 28014"]I did forget about the more expensive sine wave , turned on the light for me thanks. Yes agreed , you can get a 2000w inverter for 119.00 , a 1500 w sine wave cost a K if not slightly more. Big , no HUGE difference !
    The little cheapo I got is 29.99 ... It serves a purpose otherwise I wouldn't have sacrificed a cup holder up front , I like to have Ice water and Coffee together most of the time I'm making the wheels hum ![/QUOTE]
    Good pure sine Inverters cost about $1.00 per watt.
    this is mine....

http://www.amazon.com/SENSATA-DIMENSIONS-1800N-FREQUENCY-INVERTER/dp/B00FG5M912

only $1452.00

maninthemoon1 Thanks this.
  7. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    My xantrex prowatt sw 1800 watt was about $350. Maybe not a premium product, but gets the job done and doesn't disturb my radios. I think it's also the same one Thermo King uses with the Tripak.

maninthemoon1 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  8. volvo244t

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Another thing that increases noise is most 12v USB chargers...due to the switching power supply. Those are bad enough that using AC USB chargers on even cheap inverters produces drastically less noise.

I had a Cobra 400w inverter and now I have a new style Power Drive 300w. I find the Power Drive produces far less noise than the cobra did. I can now leave my RF gain all the way up most of the time...and my radio has yet to have Mark's magic worked on it.

9. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Interesting you mention that specific one. Before I installed the Xantrex, I was using two if those 400w Cobras. One had a real bad noise problem out of the box. I ended up using the quiet one for on all the time stuff, and the noisy one when parked with the cb off. When the good one finally failed, the noisy one was such a hassle that I decided to get away from those and install a big sine wave inverter.

Also have had issues as you mention with some 12v USB chargers. I've had a couple that make a touch screen inactive or erratic when charging. Unplug, and everything is back to normal. I hadn't thought about this in a while. I have two 110v USB chargers in the back and no such problem. I only have one 12v adapter up front used only rarely. My Sony cell phone tolerates it OK, but have had minor touch screen issues when using it from time to time.

10. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    That "42" station or mobile sound really good to me!

11. maninthemoon1

Apr 9, 2009
    Garrison ky
    That price seems "used" not new. I know some of the truck mfg inverters , are way up there. 1800.00 to 3000.00

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.