Bees

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by xlsdraw, Feb 10, 2016.

1. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Pulled into the far pump lane @ the J in Kingman today. Got out to fuel and there were bees everywhere. There was a lot of diesel spillage on the ground and they were attracted to that. Several lit on me and I felt a few pricks but didn't get stung. If they had considered me a threat it could have been bad. I'm not allergic but some folks like my wife are allergic.

Big Don and tucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I found out last summer I'm allergic. I've been stung many times by wasps and got nothing more than a little bit of redness around the sting. Got stung by a bee on the wrist while rolling around under my truck and 2 days later my arm was swollen up 2x its original size from elbow to fingers.

xlsdraw Thanks this.
  4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Scary thing about it, is that you can get stung and not have a problem at all. Perhaps many times, over a period of time. And then you get stung once and all hell breaks loose. I don't know if the body builds up a toxicity, or if it could depend on the (hmmmmm can't find the word here, again...) I guess chemical make up of your body, (for want of the right word,) at a particular time.

If you know you have a problem with it, it's a good idea to have an Epipen within reach.

LindaPV and tucker Thank this.
  5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    If they were yellow jackets they were attracted to dead bugs on grills and windshields. Keep the windows rolled up when you stop.

If they were honey bees could have been a swarm nesting nearby, or escapees from a load of bees. I got frantically waved through the scale coming into California on I-40 a couple years ago. Bees were thick, coming from a load that had a tear in the netting, with a couple of guys suited up with smoke guns to calm them as they repaired the tear. I-40 is a common route for bee loads.

6. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    Yeah, watch out if you do react. Fact is, someday you'll be fueling and guess what's going to pull into the island beside you? A bee hauler. I keep bees so it was no great shakes, but talk about watching drivers clear out of someplace fast! There weren't any wienies taking their 30 in the fuel islands that day.

7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last couple weeks I've seen at least three flatbeds hauling beehives West going into California

Full trailer loads

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Sometimes I'm 20+ km into the bush. An arm or leg sting would be survivable to get to town but a neck/throat sting could be deadly for me. Crossing my fingers it won't happen.

9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    LOL! No weinees taking a 30. Priceless.

Reminds me seeing a driver yakking on the phone walking too close to a bull hauler in a fuel island. Green #### sprayed all over him and I'm sure he'll never make THAT mistake again.

10. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    3872839.jpg

11. bowtieboy77

bowtieboy77 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Southern, Ontario
    Bees also seem to be attracted to propane. If there is a propane hauler you will find bees around it. Think they probly like the smell of the chemical used to give propane its leak detection smell.

Big Don and austinmike Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.