Being an owner operator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Ztrucker, Jul 9, 2016.

1. LumbraX

LumbraX Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    To answer some of your question if you get into the right type of operation becoming an Owner OP in my personal opinion was just buying my freedom. OTR I was never home, local gigs didn't give me wiggle room for days off. I'm making less money than when I was a company driver however I hardly work and every trip I take is short and sweet. Almost 2 years at it now and I nevered look back

2. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    My dad was a local 282 steel hauler leased on at a small flat company in the early 90's. Most of the drivers I've talked to never heard of o/o being a teamster but then again prob have never heard the word deregulation either. Then they drive off in their white volvo from Chicago throwing piss bottles everywhere

Klleetrucking Thanks this.
  3. Dagoboy

Dagoboy Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Is the deal man if you're not running Non-Stop and making $2+ a mile you're basically doing a slow motion bankruptcy it's not worth it it's too volatile you can do better as a company driver.

4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Really? So the only way to be an owner operator is to run your own numbers?

I strongly disagree. I have just as much freedom leased to my carrier as any guy with his own numbers. And with very few exceptions, i actually make more than they do.

5. LumbraX

LumbraX Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Orlando, FL

Agree 100%

6. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    If you want to get technical about the difference between being lease and being O/O, there is difference. When I first became O/O or I thought I was, I was leased to a carrier. Yes, I could pick and choose my loads and had somewhat of freedom but at the end you only haul or should I say, I hauled THERE loads only. Once I thought it out some more, I wanted to choose what freight to haul freely and I filed for my authority numbers. Let me put it in simpler terms, I don't put my eggs all in one basket, I have several that I choose to put them on freely. If I don't like one, I choose another on the spot. But you know the saying ,different strokes for different folks. What works for you, doesn't work for me.

7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    And i can do that same thing. The only thing that has changed since i suspended my authority and leased to this carrier is less paper work and never having to worry if the check is gonna be on time.

CruisingAlong Thanks this.
  8. Diesel Dave

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I guess the mod watching this thread didn't take kindly to the posting of a cows scrotum. Was trying to make a point after I seen the "Chicken" above.......well you got your answer

9. Diesel Dave

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    @spyder7723 , like I mentioned above, it works for some and some not. Btw, the carriers I use, I never have to go chase nor worry about my bi monthly settlements. That's why I only haul for a few.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.