Benzos any truckers on the road perscribed these? R they allowed? At all?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by McKenna, Sep 30, 2015.

1. McKenna

McKenna Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    I take lorazepam as a part of my sleep routine does anyone know if there is a slight chance in hell I'll be allowed to continue?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McKenna

Sep 25, 2015
    I do have a letter from dr saying it's fine

4. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq/what-medications-disqualify-cmv-driver

This basically says you are disqualified if you are on a habit-forming drug, which any benzodiazepine is. Those are some of the most difficult drugs to get off of, and are potentially life threatening to discontinue without medical intervention (detox). However, it says that "There is an exception: the prescribing doctor can write that the driver is safe to be a commercial driver while taking the medication. In this case, the Medical Examiner may, but does not have to certify the driver."

So your doctor can write a note saying you are safe to drive a CMV, but the doctor signing off on your 2-year medical card can choose to disqualify you anyway. My guess is that if either of these doctors is worried about liability, you will be screwed.

Good luck to you, driver.

McKenna Thanks this.
  5. McKenna

Sep 25, 2015
    Just so everyone on here knows with proper letter from ur dr u can pass the physical on lorazepam

123456 Thanks this.
  6. Vudoo

Vudoo Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Chesapeake, Virgina
    With the "proper" documentation from your treating physician you can take MOST prescriptions......since if you've taken ANY prescription for long enough, your physician can determine if its effects and results indicate it WIL or WILL NOT impair your ability to operate a vehicle or heavy machinery. Attend the screening with a note in hand reflecting your ability and you SHOULD be permitted to engage in said activity.
    The final decision always rests with your employer, safety department, laboratory and the MRO.

As a police officer I worked with folks who took everything from ambien, vicodin, clonozepam, antibiotics, anti nausea, anti allergy, testosterone supplements and other narcotic pain killers. It should come down to your doctor, employer and safety department trusting you to make the right call.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  7. Falcon86a

Falcon86a Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2015
    I was taking klonopin, stopped Tuesday, have orientation Mon. I read it takes 150 hrs to get out of system,will be 144 hrs at orientation. What should I do?

8. McKenna

Sep 25, 2015
    Well I passed the physical...haven't gotten a job yet...so not sure man

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.