Best GPS?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by ssgn, Jul 10, 2015.

1. ssgn

ssgn Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2012
    kitchener ontario
    Looking to buy a GPS and was wondering what most of you are using. I have never owned one so what are features to look for.

Thanks in advance
    Kevin

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Some people say Randmcnally, some say Garmin, some say Copilot. Old timers who like driving trucks with no air conditioning and power steering, say atlas is the best. Up to you to decide

4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    ideots and cheap haulers(who does not have a money for repairs) are driving trucks with no a/c and power steering not old timers. the atlas is the best for highway routing. in the town or city you will need a gps.

5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    chill, that was a joke ))

6. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    My rand McNally does a fine job for the most part but I always gotta reference the route with my map.. just in case

7. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    Tried them all, they all have their pros and cons. We found Garmin to work the best, although it does get a bit grouchy from time to time, especially when we are backroading with the cows, or hoppers. But for running the dry vans it is the best. Yep only idiots want to run around with no AC or power steering, and I am not one of them. Also only idiots would not want to have a tool that could make their life easier. A GPS is a tool, it does not drive the truck, you better have an Atlas as well or when that tool freezes up you will be lost.

mhyn Thanks this.
  8. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Android tablet with built-in GPS chip (Motorola Zoom, Samsung, etc) and Co-Pilot Truck app.

I could not tell you if it's the best as I have not tried all of them, but prior to getting that set up, I used a Garmin Nuvi 350 for years. I can tell you the 10" Zoom has a much better for details than the 3.5" Nuvi but it may be a bit large for some folks. The Co-Pilot app has a day/night mode, just like the Nuvi, but at night, I usually end up covering up the screen on the Zoom because, even in "night" mode, it's still too bright.

9. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    ...))))
    I am a conservative person and I like old timers ))

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i dim the screen at night on my android powered copilot.

if you want the best navigation, copilot is the one. it's also the cheapest. but you have to have the parameters setup. or it will perform just as poorly as the other brands.

if you want bells and whistles. there are free apps for that. or you can bu y the more expensive rand. however, rand doesn't use NON staa routing. so it will not be efficient.

11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    do you drive on non staa highways ? I have heard that rand gets free map updates lifetime. what about copilot ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.