Best provider for data coverage?

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by shakewell, Mar 13, 2015.

1. shakewell

shakewell Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2015
    I will be starting a trucking career in the next 3 months or so and I was wondering what provider has the best data coverage from your experience?

My wife will be using the data connection as she works online doing copy editing. We don't need to be connected 24/7 but she should be able to get a 4G connection or bear minimum 3G for 4-5 hours a day. I believe I will be mostly running Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas, etc.

I've been using T-Mobile for about 5 years but whenever I go on a road trip the connection really lacks, I get basically just voice when going between Texas and California.. When I come across a decent sized town I'll start to get Data again.

I heard Sprint has been making deals with rural providers but I've also heard some bad things about them in the past.. So not sure if they have improved their service or not.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. train777

train777 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2014
    I am using T-mobile, coverage is good for phone calls, but data is not good enough, many dead spots between cities. The price for the service is the best in the industry, but I am still keeping WI-FI router from AT&T for the T-mobile dead spots. I have tried VERIZON, but I will never go with them, they cheat to much in the data you spend with them and the coverage is not better than AT&T.

4. lmcclure1220

lmcclure1220 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Walnut, Ms
    I live too far out in the country for anything except satellite or WiFi. I've been using Verizon MiFi for years and I'm happy with it. I have AT&T phone service. I've been all over the US and used both. I'd tell you to go with Verizon and carry your internet with you!

5. shakewell

shakewell Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Train777, that is exactly what I experience with T-mobile.. its generally good around the citiy but once you go on the road its pretty useless.

Imcclure1220, is MiFi is just a cellular data connection that is using a hot spot device?

6. dogtrucker

dogtrucker Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    For truckers, Verizon is the only way to go. It costs more but you got 4g almost everywhere.

truckon Thanks this.
  7. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Pretty happy with the Coverage/Data with Verizon.
    Get 4GLTE pretty much everywhere.

8. dogtrucker

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    Only problem is getting hooked on some TV show and running up the outrageous overage $. I may have spent $300 on Sons of Anarchy alone.

9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    LOL

I did the same originally thinking 10gb would be plenty of data. Binge watching House of Cards Season 1 and 2 during some down time threw my wife into a tizzy when the bill came in.

Upped data plan to 30 gb and now do much better.

But yeah,.. Verizon has the best data coverage area, second to none. 4GLTE almost everywhere. Enough to watch Hulu and Netflix virtually anywhere.

Slightly more money. But much less frustration when you need to check the internet to find a delivery location, get a fax, email, etc. Saved me more than once.

Hurst

10. dogtrucker

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    I was doing 40g plus overage ...I've since dialed back the insanity.
    But really, why is it so f'n expensive!?

11. wihusker13

wihusker13 Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Wisconsin via Nebraska
    If you are a Veteran I would highly recommend a fairly new company. It is called Defense Mobile. The use networks from Verizon, AT&T, Sprint. No contract plans and very reasonable plans. Awesome Customer Support. You can check them out online.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.