Best way to adjust to opening hatches on bulk trailer?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Dark_Majesty_06, May 26, 2016.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    And ShooterK2 is right, Commandment 2, no matter how a suit orders you to go up with air in that under pressure, you do not. And also prevent anyone else. Suits are stupid sometimes.

The biggest for me was the training I had in Maryland in Bulk was so intensive that I did not touch a tanker for 25 years and literally unloaded the bulk in a routine that never changed. Hose, gaskets, bucket of water, valves, pump, 12 to 14 pounds, hammer, and drain one pot. When it starts singing, go to next pot until empty. The last little bit is a challenge sometimes with certain material. Standing on the hose will tell you how the material is moving. A little snake twist is good. No movement is bad.

If you ever hear coughing from the pump or unload line that rises all the way to the top of the silo.. stop the product instantly and blow thy air. MAYBE you just save everyone lost time and blockage in the line.

Commandment three when empty, never drain thy air with people on that side of the rig. Hold on to it a bit. They say you can cut people in half if they walked by there.

Dark_Majesty_06 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Lots of good videos can be found by searching "unloading a pneumatic tanker" also, if you're interested in that.

4. rbsalado

rbsalado Bobtail Member

May 28, 2016
    If your worried about plugging up dont open your product valve wide open. when hauling sand only time you need to close blow down valve is when you are unloading other than that it stays open. that assures you no pressure in tank when opening hatches. if not sure look at tank pressure gauge. one post said you can unhook an blow sand out on the ground when your plugged up. you can get away with that on a well site dont do that in someones parking lot or on there property. good chance that will be your last load. If you get a good trainer he or she will show you how to unplug a tank without having to blow it on the ground.

5. duckhead

duckhead Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2015
    You going to work for sti? Just take it slow leaving the guion plant. That's a big pull either way.

6. Dark_Majesty_06

Dark_Majesty_06 Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    @duckhead Yes sir. I'll start in a few weeks. You work for them? I'm from that area.. just moved up to Missouri for 10 years. Moving back home now. It was an interesting test drive to say the least. I've driven the road in a car but never a truck.
    I appreciate all the advice. I'm just trying to build knowledge so I can make my trainers job just a bit easier!

7. duckhead

duckhead Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2015
    I'm leased to Oakley. About 6 years ago, when gas was booming in arkansas, we pulled out of there quite a bit. Still do some from there to a shingle place in Joplin, Tamil I think. Pulled some out of there to Edmond Oklahoma for a while too.

8. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Ok, when you said sand, I just assumed it was frac sand, and, yes, we clean out hoses onto the ground. But if you're hauling to other types places, then, yes, it's best to not blow sand on the ground. Sorry for the misinformation. All I've ever done with pneumatics is sand and salt for the oilfield, so that's all I can help you with.

9. Thermos Bottle

Thermos Bottle Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    GA
    Be sure to get a good pair of gloves and steel toe boots to avoid slips. Newer tanks have a safety rail and the wash out caps by the dome lid. Older tanks are less safe and have thin walkways. You can throw on some knee pads and crawl on those.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We never blow product out of hose on the ground. That bulk tank has to be singing on all three or whatever pots and a clean blow in that rubber hose before we take it off the silo.

11. Cheap Weenie

Cheap Weenie Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Did you get a 379 or one of the new Prostars?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.