Beware of JB Hunt brokers

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by true blue, Nov 25, 2015.

1. true blue

true blue Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Harrisburg, NC
    Plenty in here for carriers to take note of and to avoid pay problems with JB Hunt - DON'T TRUST what the brokers say to you at JB Hunt! EVERYTHING MUST BE IN WRITING!

I took a JB Hunt load from Mechanicsburg, Pa to Salisbury, NC from Jeff Auker on 9/23/15.
    I just had to wait to get unloaded and accumulate my off duty hours before I could leave from Newark, DE.
    I got the rate con that said p/u was for 2:30 pm - 2:30 pm (no flexibility), though he said there was no loading appointment.
    I called once I got my hours back and informed him the GPS was putting me there at no earlier than 3pm.
    He said it wouldn't be an issue and I asked for an updated rate con. He said it wouldn't be necessary and I let it go (my first mistake - trusting Jeff).

Later, I hit construction traffic around Gap, PA and he was informed by my wife (who I called) that I'd be delayed even further. Again he said no problem, that the shipper was there til 7pm, and he wouldn't need to send another rate con with the updated arrival time. (wrong!)

I arrived before 4pm at the XPO Logistics whse and had to wait in line with several drivers to check in. When I did, the woman said, "Hey, your 4:30 is here!" I was put in a door at 4:25 pm and thought, "So, there was an appointment on this". They took their sweet time loading (first plt came on at 6:40 pm) and I kept Jeff informed of my arrival, dock time and waiting times. He never told me that I was supposed to call a separate phone number for the JB Hunt Detention Line. That is spelled out somewhere in the 3 page rate con but I didn't scroll down all those pages in my iphone to read it in it's entirety. (My second mistake)

Keeping the night distpatcher for JB informed of my waiting times was when he told me I had to call the Detention Line, which I did (still made the call within the appropriate time).
    When I was finally loaded at 8:30 pm, I noticed right away, according to my suspension gauge, that I was very overweight on my drives. I informed the shipper who then told me their policy was to have me go scale it at the truck stop and come back to unload and reload. I kept JB informed with the whole deal and was told to go ahead and do it. I finally got out of there at 10:45 pm - too late to make my early am appt in Salisbury, NC.

Jeff told me the next morning that they would get me an appt for the following day, but he never called back. I called back twice, but was told to finally just go there and they would work me in. When I got to Salisbury that night, the guard told me that they never even had me on the previous morning appt list and that they would just have to work me in. Jeff assured me the night before though, that I would start detention at 9am, since unloading at Aldi started at 7am (really, it starts at 5am - more inaccurate information). However, since I stayed asleep while they unloaded me, and didn't call in until they woke me up, I "forfeited" all that detention pay as well. A warning to the wise.

When I tried to get paid for the detention Jeff said to just send in our invoice with the detention hours (Noted on BOL for both shipper and consignee times - with initials) and they would pay it. I told him the Pay Dept. said otherwise, but he said, "Trust me(Uh-oh, I've heard that before), I've been here 17 years and I know what I'm talking about. You'll get paid." I called back the Pay Dept who then told me HE was the one who said I was late for p/u and would not get paid. I then called him and he said, Yes, since I missed my loading appointment, I would not get detention. I told him "you told me I didn't have an appointment" and reminded him of all the updates I gave him on ETA for pickup and he wouldn't talk to me anymore (sound like the typically crooked broker?).

I also told him I needed to be reimbursed for my scale ticket and he refused, saying "we didn't approve it and it's not JB Hunt's policy"! This pretty much set me through the roof and I tried to contact his supervisor (James Brunton) by phone (left several vm's and emails), but he wouldn't respond, either. Guess it's common and acceptable practice over there. I then contacted David Box, who said he would check into my allegations that Jeff consistently lied, withheld information and then had the audacity to try to not pay the scale ticket, but finally did when I promised I would go higher up on it. David actually did respond but ended with "hope you make a lot of money and enjoy the holidays" (translated "you won't hear back from us on this"). Never did. But I did get a lot of sympathy, and apologies for this behavior and even an extra $150 for my trouble (all the detention on each end and trip to truck stop to scale and reload) from Stephanie in the Pay Dept. She was the only one who really seemed to care for the trucker in any way.
    My complaints:
    1. Jeff lied about no appointment when there was one.
    2. He wouldn't send me an updated rate con for adjusted arrival time.
    3. He took my updates as if that was all I needed to do, but didn't tell me to call the Detention Line
    4. He lied that I was late for my appointment when he told me I didn't have one.
    5. He tried to weasel out of reimbursing me for the scaling the load for HIS customer.
    6. He denied me detention time I rightfully deserved, because I "missed my appointment".
    7. He lied that all I needed to do was add the detention time to our invoice and they would pay it, without him sending an updated rate con with the detention in it.
    8. James Brunton refused to address lying, deceiving and withholding information about the load by his employee.
    9. David Box never responded to my request to look into it.
    10. There seems to be no one to contact with complaints for unethical behavior with brokers within JB Hunt to their "valued" carriers.
    11. Appointments for unloading were never made by Jeff either day I was to unload incurring more waiting time for me to be "worked in".

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    So Stephanie did pay you all that was owed? Am I understanding that right?

4. Hotplate

Hotplate Medium Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    This sort of thing has always been and always will be. Shoddy driver treatment by brokers and dispatchers is one thing that has remained a constant in this biz. The equipment may change and improve over the years, but the people in trucking never will.

And that's the facts, Jack.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    For much of this,.. this is why once I have my contact info,.. the only communication between the broker and I is when I am loaded and empty. Also if wait time extends into detention time,.. I then make contact with the broker explaining what is happening. Mark down my times and get it signed by the shipper,.. and if problems arise at delivery,.. mark my in/out time and get it signed.

Most of my communication is focused between myself and the shipper. I never trust the broker's information to be accurate. Even brokers who have dealt with a particular shipper for years wont update their confirmation sheets with anything that has changed or that was inaccurate in the first place. I usually know what to expect being loaded/unloaded by communicating with the shipper/receiver.

Always read the Rate/Con for fine print. I'm a stickler for detention pay and like to make sure there wont be any hickups. If I read anything that is contrary to what was agreed,.. call and have them send a revised sheet or the load gets canceled. Period.

I do flatbed and have never dealt with Hunt. How ever,.. when dealing with steal/coils, large pipe yards, large manufacturing yards,.. and incompetent yards in general,.. things can and do go beyond what I consider reasonable time spent to be loaded or unloaded. If I'm waiting 5 hours to be pulled into a bay and then sit under a gantry crane for 2 more hours after someone said they would be right with me,.. I expect my time to be compensated. This is a business,.. time, fuel, equipment usage, it all has an expense that needs to be covered.

Hurst

6. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I like the part about, they overloaded your drives and they said go to a truck stop and weigh and come back for adjustment.

Now I asked this question before on here and got jumped all over by everyone that I should have known better than to have them overload the truck. Really? See what shippers do and who's going to pay for all that running around, fuel and time lost. THE TRUCK DRIVERS.

NavigatorWife and true blue Thank this.
  7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I stopped reading here.

First, you recommend that everything be put in writing when dealing with them, and THEN you tell us that you didn't read the paperwork in its entirety. You get what you get if you choose to sign the contract without reading it.

Please.

8. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Ok, I'll stir the pot seeing how I haven't posted in awhile
    But why should they have to pay your scale ticket???????????
    That is part of your costs running your business..
    Also like others have stated read the full contract and ld. info sheet.
    Just not the parts you want to read.
    Call the shipper direct and receiver direct..
    Then there is no misunderstandings in your ld. and unld times
    I bet your mobile has unlimted air time.....

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I have an air gauge in the cab. I could scale a load with just that one gauge back when I was leased to a company pulling their trailers. Did it all the time and never once had an issue running thru Virginia loaded heavy. I can probably count on 2 hands how many scale tickets I have paid for in the past 10 years. My trailer has a gauge on it now. There is no reason to ever be coerced into leaving a shipper driving all over creation uncompensated to find a Cat scale. You are the captain of that ship and what you say about how it is loaded is what rules the day, or they can remove it from the truck. I've had pallets cut off loads many times by standing my ground and forcing the issue. Once you agree to leave then you have lost what control you have over the situation. Of course they can jack you around and waste time. If they think you are serious about just taking all of the freight off the truck and not hauling it period usually does wonders to motivate them.

KB3MMX, Flipflops and powerhousescott Thank this.
  10. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    Same here, if they start arguing we just tell them to take the whole load off and we will just be happy with the TONU.

KB3MMX and rollin coal Thank this.
  11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    And I agree JB Hunt's detention hops are ridiculous. I too once got burned like that because I didn't read the fine print.

true blue and double yellow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.