Big or Small: Good companies too sign on with in NEPA or central (Pennsylvania)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Bksanyangr9, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Bksanyangr9

Bksanyangr9 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Doing research; does anyone know of a good company that would hire an owner operator with +1 year OTR experience where they're not demanding the O/O too have a newer truck? I've come to a conclusion I will be getting a truck that's 07 or older. Thank you in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    PA is turning bad to truckers. Have you noticed the no trucks or ten ton weight limits going up everywhere?

With that said If anything it's either Allentown, Harrisburg or Pittsburgh. DM Bowman might have a new ternimal in Allentown. There is a Lancaster PA in the dutch country with heavy aluminum trucking feeding that plant among other things such as transloading off the Strasburg Railroad east Strasburg Yard onto trucks for delivery into Lancaster and local area. It happens to be a steam operation that has been bringing in freight for that purpose to support trucking since very early 1900's

4. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Try ACME in Denver PA.

The building says Supervalu on it, but it's actually ACME's main distribution plant in the NE. Their lots are littered with O/O's. Ever since they bought out Pathmark, Superfresh and A&P, they just don't have enough fleet drivers to cover the work, even though they have close 200 drivers.

Greatwide also does a lot of pickups for them as well. Maybe check them out also.

Bksanyangr9 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ah the old Pathmark, Superfresh and A&P. Story of my life as it once was.

At least tell me the same old lost motion and bull still reigns in that place to this day....

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  6. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    ACME is actually doing quite well. They just opened up about 72 new stores last time I heard. It might be even more now.

I think where Pathmark, Superfresh, and A&P went wrong was LOCATION. A lot of these stores were located right next to a Walmart. At least they were in my area. Then when Walmart started selling groceries at a cheaper price, they couldn't compete, and eventually went out of business.

What I noticed with ACME, at least in my area, is that they are NOT located as near to a Walmart as the others were. So I think strategic placement was a smart move on their part. All the old Pathmark, Superfresh, and A&P stores that didn't close down are now ACME. I have a coworker of mine whose son works at A&P, and he mentioned that since ACME took over, things have gotten so much better now. So they must be doing something right.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Thank you. A&P at one time was the for lack of a better word walmart of the east. We had two large stores not far from where we were raised and they were every bit as equal to a modern super center today.

If anything, you could take a truck and deadhead anywhere for any freight that will fit in the box at any temperature and deliver to A&P and similar back then.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  8. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    The Food Industry uses a lot of O/O's, especially Grocery companies. Shop Rite uses O/O's as well. So does Bimbo Bakeries. Just look for any Food distributor.

Other places that uses O/O's are Intermodel railyards (don't know if freight is picking back up again), UPS Freight, Amazon Fulfilment Centers, and US Postal. They're out there. You just gotta know where to look.

Bksanyangr9 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    JBH is in control or has permission to access approximately 200 plus Railheads for container. I used to run container as a first trucking company out of school when no one else would hire me (Thank you Port East...) boy did I get a education.

You cannot ever be late. You have absolutely got to be on time or early to a railroad. That #### train leaves to the minute and your cold fired ### with the late box will be crying. Do not. I repeat do not ever be late. I mean it.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.