Boc-3 yourself

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by snowflake1, Nov 21, 2015.

1. snowflake1

snowflake1 Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Can you do the boc-3 yourself? I know it only cost $30 to have someone do it. I know it is less of a headache having someone else do it. This question to just to help myself and others just to educate. Oñ the fmsca website you can fill out the boc-3 form. They also have a list of registered agents in each state. Can you copy a registered agents(from each state) info to the boc-3 form and that's it. Is consent needed from that registered agent for you to do so. Being that they are public and on the fmsca's website I figured they put it up there so you can copy that info to a boc-3 form. So really the question is do or do you not need consent to put the registered agents info on the boc-3 form from each state? If so do you just call them up with permission? What's the procedure? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    I had someone else do it... And not sure of how you would do it on your own.

But, do you understand what a process agent is? And what they are for? Your question, "Is consent needed from that registered agent for you to do so." makes me believe you do not.

I may be terribly mistaken, but the list on the FMCSA's website, although titled Process Agents, are not actually process agents. They are actually "commercial firms who will arrange process agents in any state for a fee", as it states in the paragraph titled, "Do I Need One"? You may note, not all states are in the list.

4. snowflake1

Feb 3, 2011
    I reread my post to make sure I wrote it out correctly. You took half of what I asked in my statement to come up with you reply. Had you included the sentence prior you would have come up with a complete question to what was being asked. Also, I never asked what they are for why do you make these statements up? I would go into to point out your errors in response but I won't bother. I do know what a registered agent is. Please reread my post and stick to what was asked. The fmsca has a list of registered agents (with all there info that a boc-3 form would need)on their website?Once again can that agents info from each state be put on the boc3 form with no repercussions by the applicant. Is permission from that agent necessary? Sorry to be rude but I not asking if you did it yourself, what a registered agent is, what the do, who can do it for me, why the do it , how much it cost, ect.. thanks

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No you can't.

Contact the agent you are going to deal with, go through the process of using them and then use their name on your BOC-3 form.

IF you falsify the form, you can put your authority in a bit of a problem.

6. snowflake1

Feb 3, 2011
    First let me apologize to you CharlieK although I know what a registered agent and process agent do I got my terminology wrong. I have had a long week making corrections on things that have taken a lot of my time up. I should have used process agents in my post not registered agent. Feel free to let me have it. Back to the question though. The fmsca website states an applicant (myself) or a processing agent can fill out an fmsca form. I wanted to do it myself for several reasons. The reasons are not important. Can I use the list of processing agents info that the fmsca provides and put it on the form myself. Their name,address, and zip is what is required on the boc-3 form for a processing agent from each state. If no one is sure I will just call Monday and find out. Thanks

7. oilfieldtrash

oilfieldtrash Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Jones,Oklahoma
    Ridgeline is correct. No you can't. You have to use an someone.

8. Ssssnake

Ssssnake Medium Load Member

Oct 15, 2015
    A bad dream...
    If you're a member of OOIDA, BOC-3 coverage through their agents is a part of your membership.

9. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
  10. snowflake1

Feb 3, 2011
    Thanks for that CharlieK every little bit helps. I have started reading up on the fmsca regulation 49 cfr 366 section. It's really me trying to interpret what it's saying. Do I need permission to designate a process agents info onto the boc3 form? 366.3 section it does not state I need permission from a process agent to use their information for designation. It does state however if I was to elect state official that I would need their permission to designate them. For everyone that can't understand why I am trying to find this out please find another post respond to.

11. kwswan

kwswan Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2009
    mcminnville,tn.
    Your asking people for help but telling them not to post here if it isn't the answer you are looking for. That's a really crappy attitude for someone asking for help. Lose the attitude & you might get more helpful answers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.