Bottom Feeders?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Stormy 69, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Stormy 69

Stormy 69 Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Confusion
    Now suppose that we call ourselves "professionals ",,And all these "nubes,rookies,etc" are trying to get into this lifestyle, we as a whole ' experienced drivers' give them advice,,,,, why is it that some of you decide to call certain mega carriers "Bottom Feeders"? Wouldn't that be calling the people that are trying to get into this lifestyle basically MUD or garbage A little clarity for my peace of mind would be helpful

SHOJim, DRAGON64, sourdiesel and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    There is some anomosity amongst independents when it comes to big companies. For me personally, they've come in offered lower rates, and put inexperienced drivers on my dedicated runs. They can operate at a lower cost and I understand that's just business, but it gets old after a while. I don't think they hold their drivers to high enough of a standard, in personal appearance and such as well.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Well let's see...

The rookies are starting out in ground level, correct?

The megas send their recruiters to the schools offering rookies sunshine injections to Uranus and prehire letters and whatnot. They cram them into a POS motel, and send them through a program that has the look and feel of a slaughterhouse.

So, if rookies are starting out on the bottom, what would you call the trucking companies that prey on the ones at the bottom?

Dave_in_AZ, 207nomad, Hurst and 5 others Thank this.
  5. Stormy 69

Stormy 69 Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Confusion
    What I meant was,,, the "Mega" companies are called bottom feeders the that means the drivers are basically dirt or sludge correct?

6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Because that's what they are.People aren't saying not to drive for them just telling you what thryre like.Once you get the exp you'll be calling them bottom freeders as well.

Stormy 69 Thanks this.
  7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    No doesnt mean that at all.Just means they hire anyone with a pulse and pays the lowest.Nothing personal against the driver.We all have to start somewhere.ive had my fair share of bottom feeders.Most the drivers are new drivers.

8. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    When you get your experience from someone that has had 6 months of experience himself. That is definitely were these bottom feeders get their name.

9. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Bottom feeder company.

A company that preys on the weak and easy targets. The poor, the desperate, and the uninformed. This is a knock against the company's behavior, not the driver that runs for them. Hire the least experienced guy, pay him the least, and expect perfection.

10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I prefer to call them "training carriers". And considering how trucking needs have exploded the last 20 years, this was the only outcome one could expect. (The explosion of training carriers)

Lowes down the street will pay maybe $9/hr and 30 hours a week. Swift and others claim potential first year earnings of $50k. People are desperate to provide for their family and to eat. How can you fault them or the carriers who assume the risk and liability to satisfy demand for truckload movements?

Call them what you want. But they are a necessary part of the nation's ecomic engine. No amount of "independent owner-operators" could ever exist to haul the sheer numbers of BS loads they haul. You DO want those paper towels and endless supply of toilet paper and cereal that they put on your local store's shelves.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    KillingTime Thanks this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    There are a few who have a natural talent for truck driving. Decades ago, these were enough to meet the needs. Today? Today we have to "create" truck drivers out of whatever is desperate enough to walk through the door and try out for a largely thankless job that shreds many up and spits them out before they make their first 5 months.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.