Brake Switch nightmare

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by kev2809, Jan 4, 2016.

1. kev2809

kev2809 Light Load Member

Jul 2, 2015
    well ive owned this truck since june..and i think ive just about worked all the bugs out.

except i cant get my brake lights to work right. ive tried a few from the local big truck shop here. the one i got from there works, but i REALLY have to press the pedal for it to work..like super hard.

im thinking the pressure rating is way to high on it, and i need to find one with much less pressure to activate. any help?

truck is a 94 international 9400 dump truck. switch screws in and is a blade style with one blade + and one blade -

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pigeon river trucking

pigeon river trucking Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    michigan
    Have had same problems with aftermarket switch on them got them from international and they worked fine

4. kev2809

Jul 2, 2015
    thats what im avoiding...150 bucks from them and it has to be special ordered

im hoping to find one thats exactly the same but just with a very low pressure to activate. i didnt think it would be this tough to what seemed to be a simple fix.

but if i cant find an alternative then i guess im stuck with buying a dealer part..

5. kev2809

Jul 2, 2015
    is there anywhere that can cross reference the international dealer parts to an "exact" aftermarket one?

if not, i guess im gonna have to bite the bullet on this one

6. pigeon river trucking

pigeon river trucking Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    michigan
    Have never paid that much for one we have 50 1990 to 2004 internationals have changed many of them we r in mi and deal with west mi international in grand rapids

7. kev2809

Jul 2, 2015
    hmm..strange

i called the one here in texas and they said it was 136 if im not mistaken..which is outrageous compared to the 20 dollar aftermarket ones

8. northernhopper

northernhopper Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2015
    isanti mn
    Try swapping the switch with the cruise control switch. I think thats low pressure. Ive replaced cc and was closer to 20-25 $

9. kev2809

Jul 2, 2015
    do u know where that one might be? i checked another guys truck (90 international) and it had the same aftermarket switch ive been trying to use

thanks for the move! probably would get more help on this side of the forum!

10. northernhopper

northernhopper Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2015
    isanti mn
    If im remembering right the cc switch is behind the air cleaner and the farthest to the drivers side of my truck. Has two wires coming out of it.
    Pressure switchs need to be rated for the correct pressure and you need to determine the normally open/normally closed statice of a switch.
    Thinking about it a cc is normally open. A brake switch is probably normally closed. You can check with a multi meter. I should have thought it through a little more before my earlier reply.

11. kev2809

Jul 2, 2015
    i found this one that i believe should work..

http://hnctruckparts.com/shop-now/a...low-pressure-air-switch-598860c1-s9093-detail

says operating pressure is between 3-5 psi. the only question i have is: are the blades 1 positive 1 negative? thats how my truck is wired, so im not sure how to tell if this switch is also the same. i tried one switch that had 2 blades, and the wires heated up when i connected it..the blades were both positive.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.