Broke Down 69 makes a decision

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Broke Down 69, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    A few of you may have noticed an earlier thread I posted about trying to find a job with a bit of a past. It been over a decade since I last ran afoul of John Q Law but trucking companies...especially the majors...seem to hold a grudge like a Confederate widow so I had to look for my first opportunity with a "second chance" company and the options, while plentiful, were a bit depressing.

I received numerous "pre-hire" letters which mean exactly nothing as they don't even check your criminal record or MVR until you are at orientation, at which point they may send you back home...possibly on your own dime. Low pay, beat up equipment, forced teams and CSA scores that just made you shudder sure in the knowledge you were going to stop at every scale house and be routinely subjected to "random" pullovers for inspections and just about every other negative aspect of OTR trucking.

Then a break. I have been dropping in at a local truck stop and talking to drivers...amazing what a $1.50 cup of coffee will get out of a tired, bored driver...best money I've ever invested. Anyhow, I was talking to a waitress when a beautiful KW T680 pulled in. I should explain at this point that back in the late 70' or early 80's there was a TV show on the air called BJ and the Bear. It was a shameless Smokey and the Bandit ripoff, but it had a really cool chimpanzee, the Bear, and a bada$$ KW Aeodyne cabover that was the coolest thing ever to a 10 year old boy. My loyalties were thus established and nothing has happened over the years to disabuse me of that position.

Anyhow, the driver hops out, comes in and I comment on his truck. I might as well have been commenting on the beauty of his infant child and he lit up and started telling me all about it. I buy the aforementioned cup of coffee and he asks if I'd like to look it over. So out we go. This thing redefined loaded. Sattelite radio, satellite TV, inverter, APU, fridge 96" cab that I could actually stand up in...I'm 6'4" Okay, one downside...autoshift 10 speed. I commented that he must have spent a fortune outfitting this baby and he said no, I'm a Trans Am Company driver, this is how all our trucks are set up.

Told him I was about to graduate fom CDL school and was looking down the line at companies that would hire a guy with a bit of a rogueish past. He laughs and tells me about his history which made me look like a choirboy and said that I should call the recruiter and just talk to them, tell them my story and see what could happen...on a side note he warned me off the L/O program, in which I have no interest.

Called therecruiter, filled out my app online and a few days later I get a call. We've pulled all your reports, checked all your references and work history and we'd like to offer you a job.

So there it is folks. I'm on my way to Olathe, Kansas in a couple of weeks to start out. I'm one happy nugget.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Congrats and enjoy!

Dominick253, Broke Down 69 and d o g Thank this.
  4. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    That's good to hear. Keep us updated on your progress.

Dominick253, Broke Down 69 and d o g Thank this.
  5. Superquack

Superquack Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Congrats. Once you get some experience under your belt, more jobs will open up.

6. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
  7. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Bravissimo, guy!

Broke Down 69 Thanks this.
  8. pookie-wookie

pookie-wookie Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Congratulations!!! Go for it and give 100+ %!!!

9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Heck, any of us would have told you about Trans Am, but that would be mean.

10. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Fan tastic ! :occasion5: uh, thats rootbeer in those mugs lol

11. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    wow. nice.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.