Bulk IC switching to Van choice!

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by sicksfeet, Jul 3, 2015.

1. sicksfeet

sicksfeet Medium Load Member

Aug 15, 2009
    line 1
    After a highly successful yet frustrating and miserable year I've decided to pull the trigger on switching to the van division. I did very well financially, which is impressive considering the fact that the number of $0 settlements I received has reached double digits. 2 of those at my own doing from home time. The others....piss poor planning by the ones determining my income potential. It's flat out impossible to optimize your time and earning potential because nothing is up to you. All you can do is be awake and ready when you said you would be. Since workflow launched in bulk it's gone downhill dramatically. Your contacts can no longer make changes or adjustments on the fly. They can't see freight anymore. They're basically as blind as you are. It's getting a little better, but I'm the kind of person who needs to know what I'm doing next WAY BEFORE I'm closing out my current work assignment. There are a lot of reasons for that as far as planning myself goes, but the peace of mind alone would be worth it. I have full confidence I can execute a financially smart load board strategy, plus freight is heavy through my home. I've been home twice under a load in bulk in a year. I pretty much have to pay to go home. Been told by many powers that be that I will make significantly less comparing averages between bulk and van choice. I'm a calculated person though, I know I can average more per week than with bulk. 99/100 loads we pull are 45k. A large percentage of the freight we pull is through the Appalachians. The potential fuel savings alone skew the earning potential drastically.

KingDeion, atruckr, ET62 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    What are you averaging now?

TennMan Thanks this.
  4. sicksfeet

Aug 15, 2009
    line 1
    After all deductions except for taxes I average 1,600 per settlement.

TennMan Thanks this.
  5. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Powers that be? Yeah the ones that are making a fortune off bulk drivers working for some cheap mileage rate.
    Well of course they're gonna say that lol.

TennMan and sicksfeet Thank this.
  6. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Is that working a 7 day week?

TennMan Thanks this.
  7. sicksfeet

Aug 15, 2009
    line 1
    Lol oh yeah. It's amazing how we stay afloat considering considering every weekend there's "no freight in that area". Really?...houston, pittsburgh, Chicago...New Orleans...no freight? I tell them to prove it. They've yet to show me lol

TennMan Thanks this.
  8. sicksfeet

Aug 15, 2009
    line 1
    Oh yeah. I've spent 22 days at home. 15 of those we're thanksgiving and Christmas lol

TennMan Thanks this.
  9. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    oh hell no :biggrin_25513:

paul_4lp and TennMan Thank this.
  10. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    I don't know about bulk but in Van there's always freight everywhere I've been on weekend.. sure might not be AS MUCH freight but there's still freight.
    I never have any issue working on weekends. Sometimes there's fewer options like last weekend.
    Last weekend I was in Pittsburgh and my options were to go west for like $1.10 or deadhead Ohio taking a load to Maryland for $1.75 all miles. On monday I grossed over $1000 on less than 400 miles between two loads.
    Those are Van rates after giving up 35%
    Just imagine what Schneider is making off of Bulk drivers driving for cheaper

paul_4lp, TennMan and sicksfeet Thank this.
  11. sicksfeet

Aug 15, 2009
    line 1
    Haha. It's extreme, yes, but so is paying off 1/3 of your mortgage in one year. The reason I'm out here is to own everything I have and be able to live debt free at whatever job I want, regardless of pay. I'd much rather sacrifice 3-4 years all in one shot than to work a job I hate for the rest of my life because it "pays the bills".

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.