Bulk IC switching to Van choice!

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by sicksfeet, Jul 3, 2015.

1. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    man that does sound real crappy...
    heavy loads and steep grades you're paying the fuel to pull in just hoping you can make it to the mud pit so your truck can get swallowed by a monster pot hole and all you have to eat is a mud pie because you're in the middle of nowhere.

wooo I'm glad I don't have to deal with that BS.

I usually try to avoid West Virginia at all costs because driving through there is like :banghead: going 30 MPH up and down the never ending hills and getting your fuel economy blasted.
    I can't think of a worse place to drive being paid by the mile and having to pay for fuel.
    There should be a double FSC on West Virginia loads... then again I know rates are higher for Schneider through there but you get paid the same.

I can't stand WV but when planning my Northeast escape routes [​IMG] a lot of times have included West Virginia as I've gotten high rates in and out of there.

I know there's a Schneider bulk yard off I-79 near Pittsburgh.. inside info says Van drivers can sneak in and park.
    Is that accurate?

sicksfeet Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    What ever happened to the rumor that sni was going to start a "bulk choice board".......?

4. exracer941

exracer941 Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2014
    That's the Coraopolis we are talking about. You could sneak in and park in the upper lot and prob wouldn't be bothered.

sicksfeet Thanks this.
  5. exracer941

Dec 8, 2014
    Quick thread hijack. How difficult to switch to van choice? I've only ever driven a tanker. 9 years. Have to be company van for a while? And how is freight in and out of the Cleveland/Akron area?

6. sicksfeet

sicksfeet Medium Load Member

Aug 15, 2009
    line 1
    First thing you gotta do is fill out an application through SFI and have money on the side for a down payment. It's extremely easy. Their credit check mainly looks for back taxes or back child support. If your credit score is sub-par, don't let that stop you. I'm already an IC, so they're considering this an "upgrade" being the fact that I'm turning in my cascadia after completing my lease and getting a premium truck, just so happens to be in a different division. My situation will have me go through 4 days of orientation and I'm turned loose, basically just learning the loadboard. They said my driver number won't change, they just gotta change my parameters in the system from bulk to van and since I'm swapping trucks...all that paperwork. I would say that your situation should be similar, however, if you want some playtime with a box behind you then you might want to bring that up beforehand. If not, I'm sure the road test will be all you need to do before you get turned loose besides what was mentioned.

exracer941 Thanks this.
  7. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    yeah Wipper , but they are paid for deadheading so......

8. sicksfeet

Aug 15, 2009
    line 1
    We get decent miles deadheading to a tank wash, but it's more times than not just to sit there because we don't have our next load assignment yet...because there's "no freight in the area" that the "planners" sent you to. I'll give you a minute for that to set in. Don't try to make sense of it, you'll hurt your soul.

exracer941 Thanks this.
  9. exracer941

Dec 8, 2014
    Agreed. I want to know what my next move is waaaaaaaaay before I am finished with my current move. Helps with the trip plan immensely. Maybe run harder one day to take it easy the next.

sicksfeet Thanks this.
  10. sicksfeet

Aug 15, 2009
    line 1
    That's no joke. I generally run hard just to try to maximize my time and availability. If you don't know what you're running next, you don't know if you could have taken it easy or not getting there, pad your 70 instead of running it to the edge. Nothing pisses me off more than running my ### off to get to where I need to be with a stacked 11 and 14 just to eventually get a load for the next morning!!

Friday Thanks this.
  11. exracer941

Dec 8, 2014
    Ah yes, the 'ol run hard to hit the tankwash at 1300 with 6 hours to run and get that lovely load that is loading the following morning at 0800. aarrgghh

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.