Buying a truck in one state and driving home to another?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Flatwater, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Flatwater

Flatwater Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Nebraska
    One question I have is I'm putting my feelers out on trucks and trailers, looking into getting my own equipment and leasing withva local company. What are the procedures if I buy an out it in say, Louisiana and bring it back home to Nebraska? Do I get by with basic insurance to bring it home since I technically wouldn't initially be running as a commercial carrier? Run in-transit tags? Buy fuel permits in each state?

Thanks for the input.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    There another post yesterday on same topic. I put info in it. Pulling a trailer changes things a bit.

Flatwater Thanks this.
  4. Flatwater

Flatwater Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Nebraska
    Thank you! I'll take a look at it.

5. LandslideRich

LandslideRich Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    The dealer you buy it from will give you a 30 day transit tag. You'll have to buy a bobtail policy which is pretty cheap. (last time I put $170 down, cancelled it when I got home Ang got $106 refunded) As far as fuel permits, I think you're ok with a transit tag as long as you are empty or bobtailing.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  6. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    What he said. I've bought 9 trucks out of state in the last 2 years. I also put a paper in the window saying"not for hire"

LandslideRich Thanks this.
  7. Tmichael2332

Tmichael2332 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Mississippi
    I bought one of my trucks from an individual in Ohio so I didn't have the option for dealer temp tags. I got a hunters permit and temporary bobtail insurance. I can't remember where I got both. I used google to find both. Hunters permit is easy to find. The temp insurance took a couple phone calls and a few different companies/websites to find what I needed. This was a few years ago so I can't remember all the details exact but it was all under $1000. Insurance lasted 7-10 days, a million in liability, full coverage, bobtail ect. Without full coverage I'm sure it'd be a lot cheaper.

I had talked to both places about a week before I flew up there to look at the truck. Bought it and drove a few miles down to a pilot called both places paid over the phone and had everything faxed over to me. Took maybe 30 mins. I ran with no tags, no in transit signs and no dot numbers on the side. Rolled thru all the open scales with no issue except Kentucky, I got pulled behind. Walked in and they guessed I was in transit. Showed them my log book, hunters permit, insurance and was good to go. I didn't buy fuel permits so I don't know if I was in the "wrong" for that or not.

This was all bobtail from Ohio to Mississippi. I think a trailer may change it up a bit. I think I got my hunters permit from TSN America. If I remember the insurance company I'll post it. It wasn't a big well known name and I think they were based in Texas.

T.Rucker Thanks this.
  8. KarlB

KarlB Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2016
    The dealer will only give you a 30 day tag if you have insurance. I am finding this out now. I want to buy (already put a deposit down on it) a truck in New Castle Delaware and bring it to Frederick MD. Since I am a new start up company & only 1 year driving experience,I can not find anyone to insure me. The dealer will not give me a temp tag with out proof of insurance.

9. CKT TRUCKING

CKT TRUCKING Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2022
    You seem like the right person to ask lol. What if I wanted to bring a load back home. Which steps would I take then?

10. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    No. You need reg, dot, mc, cargo insurance, IFTA/hut

11. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    You do not need cargo insurance or IFTA/IRP to move a truck with no trailer across state lines. You do need insurance on the truck. If you are buying the truck for intrastate use, just buy the trip permits for the states you are going through, and skip the IFTA/IRP.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.