Buying a used truck from a dealer

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Night_driver, May 23, 2015.

1. Night_driver

Night_driver Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm thinking to buy my first truck and get my own insurance and MC. Right now I'm still researching pricing, options. I'd like something 2012-2013 with around 300-400kmi. When one buys a car there are price guides like KBB, Edmunds, etc. Every time I bought a personal vehicle I knew about how much dealers paid and was able to negotiate from there to get very good deals.
    Does anyone know how much truck dealers mark up used trucks? For example if the asking price is $70,000 what is the likely $ dealer paid for it and how much they normally go down?
    Maybe anybody has traded a used truck. If so what was the trade value and then listed price?
    I'm guessing they mark up around 10-15% if it's the same as car dealers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    Google "class 8 used trucks". And you will find sources for pricing guides.

4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I never cared what anyone else made in the middle. The most important things are the condition of the vehicle, is it specked for what you want to do, does it have prefered (dependable) components, what is the warranty, and what is the expected time before any major work like an inframe tires etc. Look at sources like truck paper and craigs list, auctions in your area. When you have to lay over is there a dealer close by you can swing through and see what just came in. There are at times deals available at dealers, leasing companies, and others trying to get a little more than offered on trade in. Buying from a known individual can be the best deal or you way find lying Lewis's evil brother. Buying from a group of trucks being rotated out is usually safer. Then what does finance cost? Consider a new one. When buying used higher a mechanic if you are not sure. A while back someone listed a sight that a person could list: KW inframe used for sale ? Type thing, but now I cannot find it. I would appreciate if someone knows what that was and may help both of us.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.