buying a used usx truck?

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by BanditTrucker, May 8, 2015.

1. BanditTrucker

BanditTrucker Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    KS
    Seen a whole bunch of these 2009-2010 red pete 389's and kw t660 out there in the past few months, getting dumped on dealers, i asked someone at paccar financial and he just straight up said these were ex usx lease trucks, i know this is dangerous at best but almost every truck that you can get a loan for from a reputable dealer IS a fleet truck....

so my question is anyone who was in one of these as a lease, how was the maintenance? was any preventives done as well? these trucks have about 500k on them the sweet spot for stuff to start breaking too.. they are pretty cheap tho so im guessing the dealers are taking into account all that.

ty

kimbosa Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    All the maintenance will have been done the only thing that bothers me is the fact it has had no telling how many newbies drive it. Therefore, it has been a rough 500k. Just my thoughts, but you should beware that I have been wrong more than I have been right about things.

kimbosa Thanks this.
  4. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I did recovery for my home terminal. Would always go to the Peterbilt dealership to bring back parts/trucks that were fixed. All of them were 2009-2012. All automatics. Never asked what was wrong with them so I can't say one way or another. All the terminals have dozens of Petes sitting around so expect more of them to flood dealers.

PMs are done here every 50,000 miles.

You can see some of them in the first 15 seconds of this video on the left. Hard to tell but there is over 30 Petes the shop was fixing up before going out to the dealerships. One of the days I was there, a guy from Paccar was there to certify the trucks. Company had only a few Kenworths. The Kenworths had no room inside them.

You might do okay with the 8 & 10 speed Petes we had. Never picked any of those up from the dealership.

Hope I was helpful. Just sharing my observations.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
  5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I have a used USX Volvo... had 512K on it when I got it
    it now has 997K and runs great.....

only downside to a used USX truck is that from 2009 till late 2010 they were doing oil change PM's every 50K, to long between for me.

upside is if you can tell what the old cab # is (check the back of the cab or hood for faded paint) you can call USX breakdown and they can pull up the repaid history of the truck............ that's what I did

6. BanditTrucker

Nov 24, 2011
    KS
    ty for the info guys 50,000 mile pms is kinda scary considering the isx likes 12,000 mile pms im guessing they were using the synthetic oil, with that interval tons of soot problems, and yes the truck im looking at is a kw with the ultrashift, they all got em. ty for the info will try and get that cab #

7. BanditTrucker

Nov 24, 2011
    KS
    spoke with someone at usx said to call him monday wasnt very interested in helping me. oh well said it takes a long time to print all that out and got to send it vial usps not email... lol

8. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Buying a training fleet truck makes as much sense to me as marrying a hooker.

blairandgretchen and 123456 Thank this.
  9. BanditTrucker

Nov 24, 2011
    KS
    problem is no company will finance some o/o's truck...

also everyone is like "just buy an old truck" yea problem is you buy some old pre-emmision truck with 1.2 million miles and then second week head cracks then u screwed because u just used all your savings to buy the truck.

10. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Save more? It'll cost you less in the long run...

<------ 1.5+ million & climbing -- and getting ~9mpg...

Grijon Thanks this.
  11. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    btw I didn't buy mine from USX, I got it at lone mountain

as to the 50K pm's they were doing..... they were using delo STANDERD OIL....!!, I had a 2009 prostar with a isx at the time and it never went over 30k between pm's.... but I have some pull at getting things done

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.