Calex Express....My New Home!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Aug 9, 2009.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    More than likely he/she was coming back to one of our customers here in PA with a load of produce.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Well everyone, no real earth shaking news to report. I left the house 10pm last Sunday night to unload in Orlando 5am Monday morning. Drop and hooked 5pm in Griffin Ga. for a 2 drop load in Hagerstown MD and Patterson NJ. Was empty in NJ 7am Thurs and reloaded 4pm Thurs with an Orlando load for Mon 5am. Paid miles for the week will be 2725 and home for the weekend. I might actually get use to this! Be safe all!

4. garylobo

garylobo Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Kissimmee, FL
    I'm glad things are working out for you at Calex...sounds like a solid company who don't hassle you, and you know you're gonna be home every weekend, but still get decent miles.

I spoke to Mort again this morning (I'm from Kissimmee), and he has my application and says it's good - just waiting either for more freight to central FL or someone else to leave. Timing is everything is this world, right? But I'd be proud to sign on to Calex and do a great job for them.

He told me you passed by the office yesterday, in fact, and that you seem very happy there. Nice to find a contented truck driver these days! Especially in these economic times.

Take care.

Kimono_skunk Thanks this.
  5. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Well I have been here for exactly 2 months and there is absolutely no complaints from me. The industry is what it is, but if you know how to deal with and handle whatever issues arise then that makes for a happy camper, especially if you work for a company like Calex that treats you like a professional. From what I've seen, we have plenty of Florida freight, so you might be waiting for an additional driver being put on. I just got home this morning and deliver on Tuesday in Tampa. I got my preplan for a drop and hook at one of our customers in Griffin GA for a 3 drop load that finals in the Bronx on Friday. This works out perfect for my reload back to Florida next Friday. I must say that the customers that we have are by far the nicest group of shippers I have ever seen. 90% of my freight so far has been drop and hook and whatever live loads we have are a breeze to unload. My load last week was a p/u in Brunswick GA and dropped in North East PA on Wed. So to keep me busy until my reload Thursday night I reloaded Wed evening in Elmira NY and dropped in Camp Hill PA on Thur morning. Then I reloaded in Lewistown PA and brought that to the yard Thur afternoon then bobtailed to Lewisburg PA and picked up my loaded trailer and got home early this morning. I'm not running 3000-3500 p/w, it's more like 2750 on average, but with my mileage pay and never laying over, plus being home for 2 days every weekend with a reset, this by far is a great job, plus my dispatcher Louie is a great guy to work with. Very short and to the point on the phone just the way I like it. He's been with the company for 20+ years so I get the feeling working for him that he expects a job done with no excuses, which is the way I like to work. This has turned out to be a win win situation. Be safe all!

6. garylobo

garylobo Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Kissimmee, FL
    It doesn't get any better than what u describe in the trucking business - unless you're home every day I guess. But that usually means less $ right?

How's getting in and out of the Bronx? Any hassles there? Does the co. offer any way of adding to your mileage income? (bonuses, etc.)

I will keep in touch with Mort and cross my fingers that an opportunity opens up soon for me with Calex. Bless you and your family Johnboy...

7. Billy Boy

Billy Boy Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Nashville,Tn
    JohnBoy is calex still hiring drivers--my time & experience is very simiilar to yours

Thanks BillyBoy

8. Billy Boy

Billy Boy Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Nashville,Tn
    Hello JohnBoy--I new to forum,so posted reply to you--but also thought
    I would try to e-mail-just wondering if Calex is still hiring--My time & experience is lot like yours--so is
    my work history--mabey i done tjis right & you will recieve it

Thanks BillyBoy

9. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Gary, we get extra stop pay, NYC pay and when we have to tail gate any freight we get paid for that. As far as getting in and out of the city, it is what it is. My only real recommendation is to call ahead for directions. This particular custom that I am going to will be the 3rd time there. When I called for directions they went like this, Take the Deegan (I-87) south to exit 1 (Brook Ave) turn right at end of ramp, go to dead end turn left, at the entrance to the low overpass in front of you we are the last building on right before the low overpass. Park over night if you want, you won't be bothered and we'll have you out b/4 the morning rush hour starts. Now, do understand, as a kid growing up in the city I learned all about city driving with a truck from my dad and uncle who had a small trucking company. I more or less learned my skills running produce out of Hunts Point Market growing up, so the city really doesn't bother me. We really don't have any fuel mileage bonuses but are taken care of in alot of other ways. Do keep in touch though, and thanks for the blessings!

Metallica88 and garylobo Thank this.
  10. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Yes they are, they had 2 go through orientation last week that I know of.

Gas Boss Thanks this.
  11. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Got it! If your's is like mine than you have a good shot.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.