calling all o/o. let's talk tires!!!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by dustinbrock, May 24, 2015.

1. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    I run alberta oilfields so I have never cared about things like rolling resistance as most my trucks have tires like the Goodyear g741. I have gotten more into the super b (140,000lbs) highway runs as I'm sick of playing in the mud and leave that for my employees who still enjoy it. I'm about to look for some rubber and obviously want to save my fuel and my initial cost.

all the otr guys always say all position radial but with my weight on our winters..... Doubt it. o have never run anything that wasn't resiculously grippy in winter.

any thoughts on some good ideas? right now I've got some xda5 drive casings and whatever recaps came with the truck. they are 24.5.

how do you feel about off brands? any luck?thanks in advance.

p.s. my thoughts were possibly bridgestone m770 drives and whatever got a low resistance for steers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Don't waste your time, put michelin xza3+ for steers and xdn2 for drives. Long life, even wear, no problems. At 80,000 on 5 axles it costs roughly .01 per mile per axle, not figuring in trade in or recap value any of that. Trailers use whatever you like but I am running Dunlop 283(?) And they're working better then the Goodyear fuel max did. For a closed axle wagon at least.

4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I use Michelin X Works XDY for summer, doesn't eat stones on the back roads, fantastic in the mud and a good rolling resistance for on the highway, but no good in the winter on hard pack or ice.
    So in the winter I switch to Michelin XDS2, not so good rolling resistance but fabulous in snow and ice and fairly good in the mud.
    I haul super b also. Out of farm yards to terminals.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I think I had a brain fart.

Op are you still running super b at 140 on the hwy? Not sure why I read the otr part as automatically a 5 axle/80,000 application ...

6. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
  7. barroll

barroll Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    I've been running Yokohama TY517 MC2's for about a year now. They're a closed shoulder, but start at 28/32", so they have quite a bit of bite. My Michelin XZA3+ steers let loose a few times, but the TY517 drives always got me stopped, backed up, and lined up to try that turn again. The low pro 24.5's have a respectable 102 rolling resistance.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I am thinking of getting TY 517 super singles, hopefully they will be ok in Midwest winter...

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    So you're staying on paved roads. My primary concern would still be traction instead of fuel economy. I actually spec'd my truck to run your area years ago. Running Canada is different animal than running in the States. In the States, you can be a fair weather driver. In western Canada, fair weather drivers are part of the food chain. Here, they wait for the roads to be cleared. There, it's another day in paradise. Here, they call AAA. There, you fire up the UHF.

If the tires you've been running have never failed to get you in and out, I'd stick with them.

10. barroll

barroll Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    If you're going to be running super singles, they might as well be open shoulder. Seems like a fair trade between lower sidewall drag and traction lost from having 4 sidewalls. Doesnt make much difference when the SS delaminates at 50,000 miles, though.

11. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i don't have a good suggestion for you. my operation has changed into far more highway miles far less dirt roads as well, im us based so i run 105,500 max

here is what i am running now
    DURATURN-DYNACARGO-18-ply-tires-truck-trailer.jpg

this is the style tread pattern i normally shoot for on tires a staggered lug with each lug being fairly small (too big of lugs theirs not a enough give to grip on ice) with a open shoulder if you can get u shaped shoulder lugs even better for winter traction. these current tires (Chinese duraturn dd10) have a bit too soft of a compound for all the highway miles though.

there cheap enough though that even with a softer compound faster wearing there not bad. im going to need 4 soon and was talking to my tire guy and to get into a tire with a similar tread with a better rubber compound was double the cost and they didn't think i would get double the miles out of them, so i might just go with the same thing again.

for hauling gravel they are the tires i like the best so far, but for running 600+ highway miles per day they are a bit fast wearing.

i am considering the toyo m920's for my next drive tires as well

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.