Calorie Counting and Workout Question

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by GOV'T_Trucker, Apr 11, 2016.

1. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    Ok I am just trying to figure something out and make sure that what the app "myfitnesspal" is telling me I should do.. I have read some blog on myfitnesspal and it seems as though the workout calories need to be to be taken lightly...

Here is the information
    Weight = 260lbs on my scale (250lbs at doctors) information I put in the app is based on my scale at 260lbs
    Weight lost/week = Goal of 2lbs/week
    Calorie Intake Goal = 1980cal
    Exercise = Avg 5 days/week (some weeks I might do 4 days and some I might do 6)
    Calories Burned On Machine = Based on my weight 605cal

Now my question is this... Some apps and online calculators include your avg workout calories burned in with your daily food intake. Myfitnesspal does not do this (which from the blog this is a good thing) so with that being said once I input my 605cal burned it pushes daily intake from 1980cal to 2585cal... Now what the blog says is that once you work out don't go eating those extra calories you just burned off... As they say machines usually over estimate calories burned, while food intake usually under estimated.. It seems to me that 2585 calories is too much to eat even with the workout if my goal is to lose any weight..

I just was looking for some clarity from people who know more about this then I do... Hopefully someone who is into weight lost, a trainer maybe or just someone who under stands it.. I am pretty sure I do understand it but I don't want to be eating to little or too much when I am burning XXX calories in a workout..

The way I see it is this... The rough estimate for weight lost for me is 1980 calories if I work out and burn 605cal then this means I am only taking in 1375cal (shouldn't go lower then 1500cal)... Should I be eating more then the 1980 or should I be ok.. I am just a little confused when it comes to the work out calories and how they fit into my daily food intake...

I am trying to count my calories and workout... I want to go from 260 to 180ish...

Any knowledge would be great..

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    The best way is to lose weight is to eliminate sugar. Using these pointless apps will make you quit

4. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    There's no magic potion for weight loss.

Stick to the basics....
    Eat right
    Exercise regularly
    Drink a lot of water
    Get about 7-8 hours of sleep.

That should do the trick.

5. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    That does sound quiet confusing.
    Maybe that app is calculating what the healthy amount of calorie intake would be for your bodies profile. It must not be trying to determine how much less calories you need to take in for your personal goal of loosing weight.
    Therefore, maybe that app is to monitor calories from your diet and not a weight loss app?
    Either way, working out 4 or 6 days a week is really good. If you burn more calories than you eat, you'll definitely start shedding weight. How about looking into exercises that burn more calories than average work outs? Like cardio or some other types.
    Good luck!

Oh and about how much diet to take in or how much not to take in, is definitely a good question. I imagine it would depend on what foods your eating. That's definitely one a health professional would be best to answer since all foods are different.

6. jackoboyo

jackoboyo Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2014
    It is pretty simple. Take in less than you burn. I would stay with the 1980. The 605 seems like a lot now but depending on your age you will adjust to the exercise and it won't seem like much after a month or two. And as you lose weight it will take more work to burn the same number of calories. I have seen where they say 3500kcal equals a pound. Not sure how accurate it is but if you use that number you can figure what your weekly calorie deficit needs to be to lose two lbs. a week.

7. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I've lost 25lbs using myfitnesspal, and I eat more than I used to. Keep yourself full on veggies with occasional fruit as a snack, use portion control on your main meals, and cheat responsibly.(I love burritos, so they are my "go to" on cheat days-just reduce the cheese and sour cream, and I eat veggies before the burrito for that pleasant stuffed feeling) I have a lot of muscle, so my resting rate is about 2800cal a day. Got fat eating crap food at about 5k calories a day, my sweet spot for weight loss is about 3000 cal while working out. If I drop below 2400cal I go into survival mode and my body won't lose any fat. If you go to a trainer they hook you up to a breather and give you your resting rate, and if you have insurance and are over 35 you can get sustanon from your doc for a bit of a boost.(careful with that though, you can use it short term but if you go past 6months you'll likely need it for life)

8. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    While 2585 seems like a lot for you to get 250-260lb you had to be eating a lot more then you think. 3-5k a day. Dropping down to 1980 would be a shock to your body. Believe it or not you have a fast metabolism cause you were eating a lot. So anything you do extra (exercise) will drop weight quick until you hit a certain weight where the cals you were eating is now too much. I do weight training and cardio same day 4-5 days a week. I don't enter the weight training just let my fitness pal add steps and cardio. I feel the cardio allows me to eat more and the weight training drops my weight. My weight cut is 1700 it boost it up to 2300-2400 after cardio. I eat about that much and I'm losing weight. I'd do the 2585 and if you don't lose weight tweak it a little. Don't be in a fast weight lost mind frame either this takes time.

9. GOV'T_Trucker

May 28, 2011
    The app really isn't pointless and it will not make you quit, In fact I have the complete opposite feeling.. It has allowed me to get a real eye opener to just how many calories I was eating\drinking before and some of them are a big surprise for me.. If it wasn't for the app I'd still be eating\drinking same stuff.. Not to mention it's a good way to track my daily intakes to make sure I stay below my calories. ... I am not sure what makes you think this.. I do agree eliminate sugar which I have been doing in things like coffee and other things..

I do agree eating right in great, but at the end of the day you can eat anything you want as long as you keep your calories below what you need to keep them at you lose weight you will loose the lbs.. You might not be healthy on the inside, but you will look slimmer on the outside.. But I do agree I will eat better (and have been) and drink more water.. I do work out 5-6 days a week... Nope don't want a magic potion I want a lifestyle change :)

Actually the app does calculate calorie intake based on you information and tells you what you need to eat to get to your goal.. I input my weight, goal weight, what I want to lose in a week (2lbs) and it spits out the number.. My number is 1980 (as you lose weight that number changes).. The problem I was having was it didn't include workout in the number.. So really if I burn 600cals then that number would increase to almost 2600cal... I posted on the My Fitness App webpage and the posters over there are saying to just add 50% of my burned weight.. So I would take 300cal add to the 1980 and get a number of 2280.... Just the number seems high.. So with that being said if 3500cal is 1lbs then it seems like this would be the outcome 3500cal-2280cal=1220cal X 7 days = 8540 so that equal over 2lbs/week lost (plus or minus variables)

Good for you losing the 25lbs.. I have 2 friends who recently just did that as well with the APP... I am confident the APP will keep my on track with what I am eating and keeping my calorie intake it order..

Based on the BMI calculators online my intake without workouts should be 3100/day.. I know it's better to go get a test done with machines but I am not with a gym and doubt they would do it for me... I'm not over 35 (33).. I don't want meds anyhow, I just wanna do it without aids..

10. Simms

Simms Bobtail Member

May 22, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I've lost 60lbs in under 7 months eating chicken, beef, fish, cheese, butter,pork and low carb veggies like avocados, celery and a bunch others.

No exercise except hiking on the weekends. Keep my calories at 1650

Check this site out
    https://m.reddit.com/r/keto

Ketogenic diet, it changed my life

P.s.

Sugar and carbohydrates make you fat

11. GOV'T_Trucker

May 28, 2011
    My calorie intake is 1980 without a workout once I had the work out it goes up 605cal (from what I burned on machine).. I have since been told to take 50% from that number which puts me at 2285..

My weight gain has been a progression over 4 years.. I don't think I was eating 5k/day, I will say some days I know I was but not everyday.... That's what I love about the app it makes me realize what I was putting in my mouth lol.. Say Pizza, I checked it out and 2 slices was like 500cal for a pepperoni and cheese... I'd pack away 4-5 slices which would be like 1000-1500 not including my other meals for the day.. Talk about gross lol... This is an eye opener...

Thanks for the input it's nice to see you are in my general area.. I am not in a rush but I do want to loose 2lbs/week... Which puts me at the 1980cal...

1980cal is what I'd eat if I wasn't working out and was only counting calories to lose 2lb.. 2585 is be just eating that cause lost 605cal in my workout.. So I am still eating 1980 because I burned 605 off...

So my guess is if I only left it at 1980 that would mean I'd only be eating 1380cal which is way to low right....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.