Came upon an accident

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Cottonmouth85, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Last night on my way to make a delivery I came upon an accident. It involved a tractor trailer, a pickup and what I assume was at one time a 4~door car. I was not the first on the scene but called 911 to report it. I couldn't offer much aid other than to hand out bottled waters, set out flares and triangles, give my first aid kit to whoever needed it, bum a few smokes to the driver, use the sheets from my sleeper to cover the car and my radio to alert oncoming traffic to what had happened until the authorities got there. I gave my statement and was sent on my way but its still pretty heavy on my mind. I guess I'm just curious who else has been in a similar situation. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved and their families.

~Mark

rachi, jerezxp7, tinytim and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Skydivedavec

Skydivedavec Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic
    You did a noble thing, helping out. Some choose to continue on. Hasn't happened to me yet, but as a former EMT I am all too familiar with the scenario. Good on you for lending aid.

rachi, Mr Ed, SHO-TYME and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Bless your heart for helping out Cottonmouth.

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  5. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    It shouldn't have an impact on the trucking world at all, but it probably will. Only because it involved a celebrity of some kind and you know how the media makes it a huge deal, in that regard. Then all the drama starts and how horrible we truck drivers are. I mean how on earth can we drive around tired? That's the public perception when this sort of thing happens.

We have one standout incident and it's tragic that someone has to lose his life. Do we really know all the facts about this and was the driver awake for 24 hrs prior to the accident.
    The public have no clue about what we do as truckers, so unless they understand they should go about their business and take care of their own lives. Move on!!

We've got enough problems to deal with, having the rein in the antics of Ferro and her cronies.
    This is one more piece of ammunition that she wants to beat over our heads with and add more rules, regulations as if we aren't controlled enough.
    If 10 hrs of rest isn't enough, then what is?? For crying out loud.
    I just wish we could have a sensible, professional person in charge of the FMCSA who fully understands the business
    Inside out and has a solid background in the vicissitudes of life in trucking.
    OOIDA is giving it a shot at getting rid of this chick but easier said than done.
    And even if she goes, do we really think we will get anyone better.......out of the frying pan into the fire.
    It's a scary thought and I'm sure many of us just wonder what's next on this obsessed woman's mind.

pattyj Thanks this.
  6. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    We do what we can in situations like these. You have to ensure tho, that you are not placing your own vehicle in a position that another accident could happen.
    You did well, i am sure the other driver appreciates it.

Cottonmouth85 and Mr Ed Thank this.
  7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You're on the wrong thread but I know where u meant to post this.

Dinomite Thanks this.
  8. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Yes I'm sooooo sorry I put this in the wrong thread. Yikes. Thx pattyj

9. 54Trucker

54Trucker Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Where..was the accident?

10. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    An intersection of 2 highways somewhere south of Harwood Tx.... forgive me but I don't want to be too specific on the details of the accident.

11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I have stopped at so many, it is hard to remember them all. One was a fatal rollover I saw walking back to the truck in a rest area. Everyone was calling 911. Took control of the scene and called 911 advising all were deceased as a paramedic and to slow everyone down.

Filled out the paper work as a witness with the paramedic license and phone number for them. Officer said I might hear from the coroner.

Mr Ed and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.