Can a trucker safely have Lap Band surgery?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by YvonneS, Jan 2, 2016.

1. YvonneS

YvonneS Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Hi, my husband is an end dump driver in DFW, and he started the job overweight, and it's gotten worse. He is considering a lap band procedure, and we are both wondering If there any drivers out there who have had success or complications by doing this. Thanks!

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EZ4U2SAY

EZ4U2SAY Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I teamed with a guy that had it done. It was all he could do not to run up to guys that were over weight and tell them how wonderful he felt and what a life changer the procedure made. He was extremely happy with it.

Dominick253 and YvonneS Thank this.
  4. Texnmidwest

Texnmidwest Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    As long as the wound is healed well, there should not be a problem.

Dominick253 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  5. EZ4U2SAY

EZ4U2SAY Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2015
    He's eating habits will change or at least this guy's did. He ate a lot of beef jerk and stayed away from pasta and bread...

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Make sure the doc knows what he or she is doing. My sister in law had it done about 10 years ago and had nothing but problems ever since.

7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I know a couple who had the surgery. Both lost weight, but have now regained much of what they have lost. I don't remember them having a lot of complications. I have heard of some who have had complications. If you want to lose weight you need to change your eating habits. I have a good friend who is constantly gaining and losing weight. He has used a radical diet that only allows for 500 calories per day for 30 days. He loses during that time, but gains the weight back due to his eating habits. Anyone can lose weight if you will only change your eating habits. The Adkins diet works for many people. It is basically a low carb diet. I have been at my current weight for more than 35 years, other than about 3 or those years. I am not fat. I watch what I eat and don't gorge. I don't snack. I eat pretty well, but have a fairly balanced diet. There is no reason your husband or anyone can't do the same thing. It only requires that you change some bad habits. If you must snack, substitute chips or a candy bar with fruit or vegetables, such as carrots. If you set a goal to substitute your poor eating habits for good ones for only 30 days, you can change your life. When you do something for 30 days, it becomes a habit. Poor eating habits are learned. You can unlearn them and develop good eating habits. All it takes is a little effort and will power. There are risks to any surgical procedure. If it were me, I would opt for changing eating habits. If you need some help, you could get a copy of the Adkins book or follow the diabetic diet. If followed, you will balance your weight with either of them and without surgery.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  8. Criminey Jade

Criminey Jade Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    NavigatorWife and glitterglue Thank this.
  9. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    You need carbs to build any muscle. Plus when you jump off low carb diet and eat carb foods your body blows up twice as bad. high amounts of protein all the time works your kidneys. Why bodybuilders only do high protein for short periods amount of time. They don't eat 200+ g of protein year round. I'm sure on these low carb diets people are eating 300+ g of protein which is over work on the kidneys for sure.

10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    OP,you and your hubby are on the wrong path.You will not like it but i will say it anyway.You want the easy,lazy solution.What is needed is a change in lifestyle.Like gman stated,the only ones to be succefull after surgery are the ones who changed their eating habits meaning had they changed long ago,surgery would not have been needed.

crb and glitterglue Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.