Can I use a RAM 5000 to haul flatbed loads?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by MrGud, Apr 13, 2015.

1. shooterflatch

shooterflatch Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Any value to obtaining hazmat for a startup hotshot business? I'm assuming it could make more loads available but not sure the increased insurance costs could be offset with the additional revenue especially when you're just starting. Could be a stupid question - hotshots may not pull hazmat as far as I know! Just trying to do as much research as possible prior to making any decisions about getting into the industry.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I have not seen the need for the endorsement, maybe somebody needs it. Tanks that are delivered by hot shot are empty. What kind of research have you done? Why do you want to get into this industry? This is a good place to ask questions a lot of reading here and other places will also help. Most places I would tell you to go down to the truck stop and talk to someone pulling in running hot shot. I would not advise it in Atlanta, most guys plan not stopping there. If they stop they will be looking to fuel and go. Not knocking Atlanta my wife is from there and have friends and family in the area. Let me correct myself they had no upfront money. I assume they will pay it back. (A little at a time. Eventually ???? )

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    shooterflatch Thanks this.
  4. shooterflatch

shooterflatch Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the response Lite bug & completely understand what you're saying about Atlanta. I traveled the entire southeast for years prior to moving here in '98 & always tried to avoid Atlanta when possible. Nice town with a lot to do but traffic is absolutely unbearable. Fortunately we live out in the country about 45 miles from Atlanta but town is so small I just went with Atlanta as my location. Laid off last year, not getting any great job leads & been hating what I've been doing anyway. Time for a change so been looking to start some kind of business/franchise opportunities. Always wanted to get CDL A so I did but not looking to be out on the road for weeks at a time if it can be avoided. Local jobs without experience don't pay if you can find 'em at all so still looking for opportunities in the industry. Been thru most of this forum & tons of info here on hotshot businesses. Hard to tell what's legit from the BS sometimes but a lot of info.

5. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Have a couple of nephews started working in the industry. They both went thru Mega training ( Swift and CR ) both only stayed couple months and are running local now. They had no out of pocket expense for the training. That seems a whole lot easer than starting hot shot business. Let me correct myself, they paid no up front cost. I assume they will pay it back. ( a little at a time....eventually ??? )

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  6. chris_karr

chris_karr Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hotshotcarrier.com 40' flatbed yes, you need a class a cdl, log books, and all kinds of other crap. ooida.com will help you a lot.

7. chris_karr

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    progressive, brand new insurance runs around 15,000/yr not horrible if you budget correcting, a 5500 running 2000 miles a week avg with a 2.00 per mile avg can kill it, 1.23 a mile in expenses .77cpm to the driver. that's on the low end. it's not bad to hack

8. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I'm not sure why insurance went up so much. I started out with zero experience and got my authority with never driving a truck other then school. My insurance for liability and cargo was $8,000 when I started in 2006 and that included covering my truck for $45,000

9. chris_karr

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I believe that is if you use the terms "hotshot" or "expedited" when talking to the insurance agents, I heard a couple people saying to correct the agent to ltl, otr and it'll drop it down to between 7000-8000.

10. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I would be very surprised if that was true. They have no way to keep tabs on you. I did a full truckload once but it was really an LTL. It was one horizontal stabilizer half for the new fighter jet. It weighed something like 3,000 pounds. They had a whole bunch of them to ship. I could have taken them all but they were so expensive they only put one on each truck. They were made out of carbon fiber and in a nice crate.

11. ralphbohm

ralphbohm Light Load Member

May 6, 2014
    Hello Flatbedcarrier,

Do you happen to have, or looking to have, a presence in the Northeast, specifically Maine, by any chance?
    I may PM you as I am also planning to be in SoCal area next week (Friday, May 8.)
    I am flying in from the Canary Islands where I currently work on an oil rig.

Ralph

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.