Can this be??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by oshawasue, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Not sure what other perks they offered,. (I hope you guys earn more than $1.29) but I know by the time I calculate my expenses to operate my truck,.. it costs me about $.91 - $1.22 per mi to just break even. Depends on load, permits, fuel, etc. This is why I personally try not to haul anything under $2 mi. There really is no money or profit hauling for less. I shoot for $3 - $6 mi loads when I can get them.

Long hauls usually pay less per mi than short hauls. The larger gross number looks appealing,.. I made the same mistake when I first started,. going after the long hauls. I burned more fuel and wondered why my settlements were not more.

Now I prefer to do the 250 - 500 mi runs,.. set it up to deliver as early as possible to get reloaded the same day,. and roll out and try to deliver as early as I can the next day if possible. Thats how I make my money.

You guys need to look at your expenses,.. at what point are you making money,.. or just breaking even? $1.29 for all miles plus fuel surcharge could be doable. If not, you guys need to find someone else to lease on with.

Hurst

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    I will apologize in advance, the good lord knows I'm far from perfect. But.
    Not to sound like a total a-hole but this is what we are competing against. No englaaa mega carriers, and so-called owner operators such as yourselves. The time for crunching numbers and asking questions is long past. I would have been more than happy to help answer questions and concerns before hand. However, in my mind anyone who would purchase a truck and lease on to someone for $1.29 mileage pay is my sworn enemy.
    The problem is when you are bankrupt, there is always someone to take your place. One could argue it is the carriers unfair terms. I however believe in a thing called capitalism. Trucking is a BUSINESS. A business with more government regulation than most. The actual driving of the truck is the easy part. It happens over and over again. If you do not plan to succeed, you are planning to fail. A "Owner Operator" that doesn't know how much he is making per mile, per trip, or even per MONTH is destined to fail.
    Answer me one question. If you owned the trucking company. Why would you want to lease a truck on a flat mileage plan?
    Add capacity quickly perhaps?
    Maybe have problems keeping drivers?
    The true reason is to let someone else take the risk.
    If you are going to service your hard earned customers. Handle billing, receiving and collections. Have the liability. Be responsible for safety, licensing, insurance. Payroll accounting, Ifta, 2290, hut, ect. Then lets give them fuel, they can pay it off as earned. How about a maintenance account?
    The only reason you would do this is to move freight cheaper than you could yourself. You have a driver that will have his head just above water at best and looking to run as many miles as he can. CAPACITY and A DRIVER.
    I probably went overboard but I am so tired of hearing the same story over and over. I wish you well.

Hurst, larry2903, Long FLD and 3 others Thank this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Didn't think about it until I read your post.
    What's $.90/mile+FSC=?

I sit at truckstop counters and I meet new drivers. They all tell me how when they put their time in, they plan to lease a truck and get paid $.90/mile+FSC...BASICALLY $1.20something per mile. I ask them, "Why would you do this?" They say, "It will be more money. I am only getting paid $.36/mile." For a $.36/mile driver, the best he will be able to do is make the exact same amount of money he was making as a company driver. But, if you're making over $.40/mile, IT'S A PAY CUT.

Opie buys a truck. He leases it on to a company for $1.29/mile. Run a month and a half for $500. Are the rest of you owner operator wannabes paying attention? Where did they go wrong? You just don't go out and buy a truck and money magically starts pouring in. These people are working for free!

They pulled 2 loads and then their truck broke down. I would have thought that those 2 loads together would have paid better than $500. That being said, they have to be charging for the use of the company truck. Does he even keep track of his fueling?

So, they haven't made any money in nearly 2 months, truck has been in the shop 3 weeks. What should Opie do now? If he hasn't been making any money, he will not be able to fix the truck, so he's going to lose the truck to the repair shop. That being the case, why should he stay where he's at? They don't pay any money, remember?

In the business long enough to keep freight rates low.

5. average joe

average joe Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Did the company pay Hubby's repair bill?

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Me and bunch of ther people I know, when dont know something, we say" let me google it". Thats how I found this forum and thats how I learned what it takes to be an owner operator. What surprises me, is that many people still dont use internet for asking questions, but rather blindly believe everything they are told

7. average joe

average joe Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Because everyone knows if it's on the internet it's true!

8. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    There it is.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.