Car hauling with flatbed wrecker?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by sarendstrucker, Jul 26, 2015.

1. sarendstrucker

sarendstrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Tyler, TX
    I'm interested in this idea of using a class 7 truck with JerrDan's 30' carrier bed as a hauling operation. Basically most of the hot shot haulers are using 3/4 wedge trailers behind one tons or larger trucks requiring a class a cdl. One of these wrecker trucks can haul one car on the roof and two on the deck as well as one on a lift behind or a dolly trailer. Most of these trucks are single rear axle, some with a drop. Wouldn't it be a considerable savings in fuel, tires and maintenance on a setup as described versus a truck pulling a tandem dual trailer?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
  4. sarendstrucker

Oct 22, 2008
    Tyler, TX
    I have been searching for information about someone who may already be in this business just to gather some knowledge. Usually those trucks are typically used for towing but could be carriers as well as towing/recovery rigs.

5. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I'm not much of a businessman but I can probably come up with a few tips on the actual operation of that type of rig.

In my previous gig I drove a rollback wrecker for a small "mom & pop" operation. We weren't getting as much business as we'd have liked by just towing, so we hooked up with a salvage auto exporter hauling cars to the local terminals for export. I will say there is one advantage to using this style of setup: you aren't just limited to one type of business. If we weren't hauling cars to the port, I would often find myself doing transports for auctions like Manheim, IAA or Copart. If that was slow, we could always fall back to doing traditional tow truck operations. I guess that was the main advantage: running a flatbed wrecker gives you a great deal of flexibility so that you're not locked into just one type of business. Another cool thing about it was, operating on the waterfront, these auto storage/exporters are a dime a dozen, but most of them are doing the dualie and 2 or 3 car wedge thing. Their jobs suddenly get a lot more difficult when the autos they're being paid to haul are non-runners. We were probably the only people in that business (in our area) who could pick up and transport even the most stubborn, "immovable" non-runners without even batting an eye, so even our competition sometimes had to pay us to haul some of their cars.

Too bad my former boss was too cheap to properly maintain the equipment and preferred to jury-rig everything. He doesn't even seem to realize that, if done right, a rollback (or even the class 7 setup you're talking about) can be a flexible cash cow. Pretty much 80% of the reason I left.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    What you are describing is called a 4 car carrier, they have been around for decades, and they are good, but not a perfect solution. First, our 4 car carrier gets worse fuel mileage than our dually and 3 car wedge trailer ever did. Second they are still a cdl truck, you need a cdl b at minimum to operate it, cdl a if you are towing a F-350 or something similar on the wheel lift (anything over 10,001 gvwr). Third, depending on the state you plan on operating in you may be limited to 40 foot total length, inclusive of load (with the exception of the towed vehicle). NY just recently changed their length law, allowing 40 foot of truck bumper to bumper and 3 foot of overhang to the rear of the bed, but even this is not enough to fit two average vehicles on the deck without fear of rubbing the bumpers together. This setup is best reserved for transporting salvage vehicles or vehicles that do not run, no keys, etc. We have one in our fleet currently, I used to work for a company with a dozen of them, good trucks for the right transport work but not a solution to it all. Lastly, a small dually/wedge trailer can be registered right at 26,000 pounds, eliminating the need for IFTA and IRP (apportioned) plates whereas a 4 car carrier is a 33,000 gvwr chassis so you will need apportioned plates and a fuel tax account to cross state lines. Also, with the popularity of all wheel drive and sport utility vehicles today, we are finding it more difficult to build a full 4 car load that will both fit height and length wise, as well as having something towable without removing the driveline or using a trailer, all of which adds to the operating cost of the truck. Just my two cents from someone who has been in the transport and towing industry for close to 25 years now.

7. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    X2 to everything Brian said and also most of those rigs are medium duty which are underpowered, rough riding expensive to operate pieces of crap. They cost more per mile to operate than a class 8 truck or a dually.

truckon Thanks this.
  8. sarendstrucker

Oct 22, 2008
    Tyler, TX

This is good stuff. I had thought that running 6 tires and two axles on the pavement would be more efficient than 14 tires and 4 axles as well as the added trailer weight. I do realize the commercial license required, I guess I forgot to mention that the only reason I'm looking into this is because I currently drive a dump truck with a class b license. What I'm thinking is if you use the truck to haul 3 cars, salvage or running, you have space and availability to run a small vehicle (as stated under 10k) on the lift or if running the vehicles tires on the ground is against the owners wishes then you still have the option of a uhaul dolly trailer which is under 10k. I hadn't considered the cost of tags and registrations on that rig vs a one ton but in the thought of safety I'd rather be in a air brake truck than the pickup. I've done some hauling recently with a f350 and a 3500 dodge. I wouldn't want that regularly. Most wedge trailers are made for 3 cars and the carrier hauls 3/4. You have to get a class a for 99% of the trailer tow setups and if I'm going ahead and getting my class a then I'm not going to be in a one ton. Im not sure on all but Jerr Dan does advertise that the length stays within DOT regulations. I guess I also like the versatility of these trucks.

That being said, I would also like to add that I've found some straight trucks with a 5 car carrier that are very interesting too but not the same way.

9. sarendstrucker

Oct 22, 2008
    Tyler, TX

I have ran a couple newer medium duty flatbed trucks and a couple box trucks. Not the best in the world but compared to my daily driver (92 Mack RD dump) they are fine. I average about 5mpg and the one ton dodge pulling a load averages the same. The ford 350 is better but will not pull a hill at all. The Mack has 200 hp and it pulls better than either. I'm looking into a KW medium duty which runs 325hp. I believe it will pull better than those one ton wedge setups but that's not the big concern. Pickup trucks aren't made for this work.

10. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY

Lol no. I ran an 08 dodge for 200k miles pulling an infinity 4 car and my average was 10. It also would pull almost every hill in the eastern US at 65.

You are correct on air brakes. They cost less and last way longer. I liked my dodge but I'll never give up air ride/air brake that's for sure.

11. sarendstrucker

Oct 22, 2008
    Tyler, TX

The dodge I've been running is the 12 valve cummins and it's turned up so it burns a lot of fuel. Pulls hard and it will run as fast as you want but doesn't stop worth a crap. Ford on the other hand, I have run a 7.3 power stroke f350 and it stops much better than the dodge but won't run 60 uphill with a load.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.