Cat's Eye tire inflation monitor

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Brickman, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    We run Cat's Eyes on about 600 tractors and on most of the 1500 or so trailers we have. We tried the Crossfire units, didn't like them as much and have settled on Cat's Eyes. They have some potential flaws you have to be aware of. Make sure that you make a habit of checking the connections from the Cat's Eye to the valvestem. I have had them work loose and deflate the tire for me. Only one deflates, since the system does keep the tires separated.

On tractors with Alum wheels, we take nylon straps and strap the hoses in place to the hubs, which prevents them from chafing and rubbing on anything and prevents the hose from uglying up the aluminum wheels.

They do simplify daily checks, but you still should gauge things once a week or so.

2. bunky

bunky Bobtail Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey ESKIMO 6804....I have a friend that has that self inflating system on his company truck and loves it!! My BIG question is how much does the system cost?? I bet a whole lot more than the Cats Eye system does!!!????

3. Flying Finn

Flying Finn Heavy Load Member

Thanks Received:

I ran the crossfires on my last Pete. They are internally valved to keep one tire from drawing the other flat upon a blow out. I loved them. Could check pressure at a glance. Easy to test pressures to verify the visual gauge was working. I will definitely set my new truck and trailer up with them. :biggrin_25519:

Draft saved Draft deleted