Cb band needs Upgrade

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by hazardsys, Jul 26, 2015.

1. hazardsys

hazardsys Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2015
    I think anyone that uses a cb radio fairly often will agree with me that the band itself is out dated and broken. Even ham operators should be able to agree with that. A 4 watt restriction on an AM based frequency band is a joke in this day and age. Between the changing atmospheric conditions and ever increasing high levels of RF interference. It's no wonder many CBers have resorted to increasing the power to maintain decent communication. I would like your input on two possible suggestion. Would it be possible for manufacturers to start making clean tuned high power cbs with new fcc power limits without interfereing others? Something in the 100+ watt range or whatever it would take to increase the range for cbs maybe 20 miles or so? The further the better provided it doesn't mess anything else up. If that's not possible why can't a new Citizens Band be created on better frequencies, perhaps the hams need to give up some turf? We're talking the difference between millions of truckers and drivers that need the cb as a tool not just a toy or hobby. Emergencies, traffic reporting, extreme weather warning the list goes on and on. So why hasn't the fcc reallocated the citizens band to a better FM based system or something similar? More people depend on the citizens band, there no reason it should be taking a back seat to amatuer ham. Seriously, channels dedicated to just morris code? Waste. Fix it or don't complain when cbers take steps to fix it themselves with mods, amps, etc.

Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I doubt there are any cb shops that won't peak and tune a radio to the radios maximum wattage.

4. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    RCI-69FFB4_Med3_gif.gif Grab a 10 meter export radio.

I use this combined with quality components and absolutely love it.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Yeah...then instead of listening to some idiot for the 30 seconds it takes to get past the truck stop and out of range again, you'll have to hear him for 40 miles as he repeatedly lets the world know that he ain't got no panties on.

6. hazardsys

hazardsys Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2015
    I know, but I'm suggesting the fcc increase the 4-watt power limit to something more reasonable like 100-150 minimum. Then let the main manufactures build those radios so they're tuned well enough not to bleed over or affect others at those higher power levels. Basically we should be able to go buy a 100-watt cobra or whatever off the shelf and it be powerful enough to reach 20 or so miles without any mods and it be perfectly legal. Or the fcc sets up a new citizen band standard using a new set of frequencies on fm or something like that. Something that won't be fried every time you pass radars, door openers, and everything else that blasts interference on our CBs.

Blaskowitz and KeithT1967 Thank this.
  7. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Can you even imagine what it would sound like with 200 drivers within a 40 mile stretch? Even if only 20 of them on the air at any given time, how far do you think you're gonna be able to talk? And if you're trying to talk to someone 5 miles down the road & somebody else is one mile down the road talking to another driver a mile away from him? Everybody is gonna be "walking all over" everyone.

I understand what you're asking for & I agree, there needs to be something better, but its different today with all the "ratchet mouths" & "trolls" out there just talking non-sense & those just trying to get an argument started with another driver, or as the previous poster stated, just some guy going on about the fact he don't have any panties on. First, a guy shouldn't be wearing panties... panties are for girls. But with all the BS going on out there today, no way that it would work with everyone pushing 100 -150 watts.

Its a LOT different today than it was back in the 70's with a LOT less trucks & a LOT less loud mouths out there.

Only way this would work is if it was heavily "patrolled" or "guarded" like Ham is. Its pretty much self regulated in the fact that most are decent, level-headed, respectful people who self patrol abusers & report them to the FCC etc. With CB's & truckers, that'll never work.

taxihacker66 and hazardsys Thank this.
  8. hazardsys

hazardsys Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2015
    I see your point. Perhaps some type of emergency mode would be a better idea. Channel 9 is already suppose to be just emergencies. How about an amplified emergency only mode when the operator hits ch 9? When ever the radio goes to channel 9 it activates emergency transmit mode and boosts the power several hundred watts or so. Enough to get that distress call out to someone that's listening 20-40 miles away. Also just policing ch 9 wouldn't be that big of a deal would it? That would provide the high powered life line while avoiding the traffic/troll issues.

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    In order for channel 9 to be of use, somebody would have to be monitoring it. Nobody monitors channel 9.

Blaskowitz and Rick Brown Thank this.
  10. hazardsys

hazardsys Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2015
    I bet more first responders would monitor it if you make it useful. Even if just the E-911 locations started actively monitoring ch 9 it would work and trust me they could do it no problem. If police, truckers, and other Cbers monitor it from time to time it becomes even more effective. The biggest thing is range. Once the cb can overcome that range with enough power its got a very good chance of reaching someone.

11. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    So many guys run illegal Amps anyway, so what does it matter.
    Just leave it alone I say.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.